Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

October 2, 2007

           In the shop, I set up an entire wireless system and tested it to death. Each time it worked, I tore it down and started again from scratch. You know, I still don’t know what the problems were in the field. So, back at it again, time permitting, so I can nail this down. I went to the Barn and tried to research several books on wireless networking. In each case the book was written by some kind of mental retard.
           Note my handy cup of coffee and cookie, the only things that made sense. These books were so heavily laden with jargon and poor grammar as to be useless. In the first chapter of the book in the photo, I counted 21 terms that were undefined. Like “wireless access point”. What is that? (I know, and that is why I know the term was just thrown at the reader.) Like I said, that author is a retard. Like most who write tech manuals, he wastes dozens of pages on idiotic themes, like what IEEE 1394 stands for. Trust me, you don’t need to know, and if you do, go buy a history book, not a computer manual.
           Later in the day I did something else I don’t normally bother with. I had a customer call up with the old my computer was working okay until you fixed it. That is why I always have the customer try the computer while I’m there, but sometimes you get these ones who wait until after I leave to spot something. This was in Hillcrest, so I went over there on my own time to show once and for all that I was not responsible. Can’t have one person sour-assing that I messed things up.
           In this case, it was a nasty virus-like program called “WeatherBug”. Some people, those who are not like me in any way, have a burning need to know what the weather is like back where they came from. These are also the type who are naïve enough to think there are free things on the Internet. So they type in the zip code of Baraboo, Wisconsin, and blame the results on anybody but themselves. That call used up all my spare politeness this week, so I left as soon as possible.
           Financially, the week was tough, and it looks that way all around. Because I made three trips back over to Hillcrest, I did not really make any money at the job and it wasted two days. Plainly, computers in South Florida is not a lucrative business any more. This place is also a little qualification-crazy. You meet individuals with massive degrees who can’t retrieve their own voice mail, and businesses that want those degreed people to start at $7.50 per hour.
           Also, I have now determined, as suspected, that all of the writing jobs advertised in the area are bogus. All of the replies have been for writing lessons, portfolio (non-paid), Yahoo auto-answers (hookers), or resume collectors. What? Resume collectors are people who advertise a job where this is no job, they just want to get their hands on the information in your resume. No further proof is needed than the ads for “freelance” writers – if it is really freelance, why do they want your resume, right?
           Speaking of idiotic, I’m still getting calls from the doggie-wig place that are not turning into cash. Today, they called me for a PIN number that was pasted right on the wall. Then, they wanted to know how to use the PIN number, at which point I balked. I was there for months trying to train them how to do these things, but they were always too busy. Now they can’t do it and think they are going to have me walk them through it on the phone? My position is simple, if you don’t know how to use a PIN number, why do you even have one?
           Then, they had the nerve to ask me to fill out a W-9. That alone validates my complaint that they were beginning to consider me like an employee. Maybe it was just right for me to clear out of there. It was okay a year ago but I was supposed to be training them and that never happened, instead they thought they could get me to do things for them by always being too busy to learn. Now they are kind of stuck, you know.
           Trivia. You know exactly how big a glass of water is. Okay, imagine a cube of fresh water one mile on each side. We all know how big a mile is, so picture a cubic mile. The trivia is how long would that much water last the city of Los Angeles? Most people would guess 24 hours. The answer is five years. Water is precious.