Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

October 3, 2007

           How is this for a nicely framed shot of birds on a wire. Notice the almost military spacing? I was out there in my shorts this a.m. to get this [fantastic] angle. Enjoy if you would since that is the only thing that went right today. These birds have never paraded like this before. An omen?
           I ran an anti-virus class today. It was a success, not only for content, but in the room was a recruiter for a private university that is seeking lecturers. He [Roberto] seems to be taken by how I spoke for two hours without ever mentioning any computer words. This may have had a profound impact on the recruiters. I believe I may have received a veiled job offer. Like many current business “systems”, they were most secretive as to what they actually do until after you undergo some indoctr... er, I mean, orientation. I took their card, which I’ll mention again momentarily.
           Then I got right back to wireless networking. Sure, I know a ton about it now but I still encounter undocumented problems. Linksys and Netgear manuals only cover the easiest of situations, never mentioning the real-life situations that occur. I went over to the Thrift after-hours and finally gave up on the day when things got impossible. (By impossible I mean after trying every possible combination of equipment settings that have a bearing on the situation. My conclusion is that the BellSouth telephone equipment will not work with a broadband router. I’ll call them. Later, like tomorrow.)
           Has anybody noticed that I’ve lost my Chinese book? I was already out-growing it but it was still handy. I was reminded of the loss because I stopped again at the Barn on Federal Hwy, near Aventura. Once again, I was looking for answers about wireless but I also took in a couple of hours just reading. During this stretch I was also pondering the business card. It seems the organization is called NR University.
           This stands for “Noveau Riche” University, which even my grade school French tells me stands for “New Rich” or “Newly Rich”, a term I’ve seen but never used. I take it to mean people who acquire wealth other than by inheritance. Although it is not born out by history, there is still a belief that the rich pass money-making qualities onto their issue. The difference is likely nothing more than the fact that people who were not raised with a butler and pet ponies do, as adults, indeed act differently than rich kids. For example, I have no problem walking right past a gambling den with a thousand dollars in my pocket.
           NR University is accredited by ACE, so I will consider any offer more seriously. They teach courses in “real estate”, and I’m going to tell you a little secret. For entertainment, I often attend those “seminars” held at fancy hotels in the area. Around four hundred people show up and listen to a two hour sales pitch. The most memorable ones I’ve seen were for 800 numbers and for stock market prediction software (“even tells you when to sell”). The fact is, I’ve never considered the audience anything other than a congregation of bonehead suckers, but I always admired the show. I also noticed that most of the “famous” speakers were people I’d never heard of.
           This speaker role, I recognize, must be hard to fill. Roberto said several times that they need me to talk to people “just like you are talking to us right now”. Let’s see now, at $25 per head for the show, times 400, tell you what, let me do more research and I’ll get back to you on that. Meanwhile, I asked about real estate and the impending crash although I knew they’d have answers for everything. Yep, they definitely need a spokesman to soften up the crowd. When I mentioned I had written curriculum, and both taught and lectured small groups before, they almost fell out of their chairs. I’ve got experience with larger crowds, yes, but these things take time. Would they pay for all this? It seems so.
           Hey, my favorite café is being torn down. It looks like renovations. Remember the Argentina place? You’d think the owner would tell me. The only other place nearby is Senor, which Wallace found too slow and it is also pricey. Mind you, it is still only 2/3 the cost of a non-Latino café. Even Denny’s is getting out of hand because it is hard to get out of there spending less than ten bucks apiece any more. Then again, I eat in restaurants what, twice a year? And Wallace treated both times.