Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 5, 2007

November 5, 2007


           Today’s photo is from my series called “YourFlorida”, a direct paraphrase of the government’s “MyFlorida” which presents only pictures that show this area as a paradise. The reality is that gross ignorance and incompetence actually make it somewhat dangerous to live here. Of all the spaces available, these tree trimmers put the log right across the pedestrian pathway. It was left there overnight, but I am part of the 1% of people who have a light on their handlebars. So I’m okay.
           One callout all day. Generally things are picking up again, what with the Canadians arriving. Some of these Canadians are lulu and their leader was in today. He would deny having said something we’d all heard him say moments earlier, like we were all deaf conspirators. He was so Canadian he didn’t know it.

           [Author’s note: this is not as odd as it first seems, for in Canada it is common practice for people to state things back to you “in other words”, as if the words you used were not good enough. It is like being cross-examined by a bad lawyer who is trying to prove a point by intentionally not taking anything at face value.]

           I was in the shop all day mainly researching for a job, although I’ve long since discovered I am not qualified for anything in demand in this state. That means I don’t wash cars and telemarket.
           Business also picks up for locals and I get some weird situations [with office equipment]. I am finally getting responses from my ads in Aventura, but that is another matter. What I’m referring to is the people who have to call me because they can no longer find technicians who are familiar with “the old way of doing things”. Seriously, the guy today could not find anyone to troubleshoot his fax machine.

           The difficulty is not always the equipment. You get paper-minded people who have adapted piecemeal to technology and they trap themselves into the strangest situations. The one today required two fax machines set up because it was the only configuration he could understand. One for outgoing, one for incoming. He was stunned when I used one fax machine to test the other through his cable network (he has VoIP). I suppose it might seem like magic if you had never seen it before.
           Excuse me for a second. I’m making chicken stew and one of the things I buy fresh is potatoes. The only thing fresh [at the market today] was something new labeled “Cuban” potatoes. Tough red skin, hard to peel and [begin to] discolor immediately. However, I’ve got the big knife. It is definitely a starchy tuber so into the pot it goes with garlic and salt. Pudding-Tat goes crazy when I cook – although she turns her nose up at everything. I’ll admit whatever it is, it smells fantastic. I’ll be back.

           Okay, it tastes like yam, the aroma is more enticing than the taste. Where was I? Jean, I got ahold of her early this evening and we’ve got a practice scheduled for Thursday afternoon. We also talked for twenty minutes. Unemployed single mother or not, she’s got her head screwed on right about music. I was looking for Christmas carols, and discovered today’s trivia.
           You want to know the real reason for all the kneeling and praying up to the 1600’s? It’s because the Church was too cheap to buy furniture. I wonder if there is any correlation to the soaring attendance at Protestant churches of the time, which had benches (heavy, comfortable, well-made benches) from the start. It starts to make sense, for Italy has small trees and lots of shepherds, while Germany has big trees and lots of carpenters. Why don’t some of you research that so I can take all the credit for the idea?

           I’ve also noticed I get an instant readership on Epinions. However, nothing else is moving together with writing. Every ad I’ve followed up turns out to be some kind of rip-off. Despite the fact these scams steal a reputed $427 billion a year, they are still legal. The two popular writing scams are “get paid for your blog” and “write eBay ads”. The first tries to scam you into writing for their unknown nothing page by implying you’ll get paid through Adsense. The other mentions in the fine print you need to send them $99 for the list of who “might want you”.
           What? Adsense? Didn’t I tell you already, it is those stupid little blue advertising links that appear when you view blogs which do such things. The good news is the more the ads don’t offer of anything you want, the less they have profiled you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++