Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, December 14, 2007

December 14, 2007


           It’s a Frisbee with a concentric circle and then a hole cut into the circle. It’s my new invention, fifty Brownie points to whoever guesses what I’m up to. If you assume it's a lightweight Frisbee because I haven't got what it takes to handle a full-size model, you probably also think you're a good guitar player or something. No fair looking back, in case I previously announced my intentions, but your hint is that it has to do with a personal reward for getting good exercise. I've also cautiously reintroduced eggs into my diet. That's all you get to go on.
           I do not know if this represents some kind of a milestone, but I did send both Wallace and Mitch relatively long letters compared to what I would normally word process. These letters were completely composed on Dragon Naturally Speaking. Today's entry is spoken, not typed.

           You know one thing that really bites me, is this unusual Florida practice of the check made out to cash. You tell people, stating it is a cash price, and repeat to them, “cash means money, not a check”. Yet when you get out there, they make you a check payable to cash. This really sucks, because you know, the fact of the matter is that they don't have $100 cash to pay you, and they're really trying to kite (don’t have the money until their most recent deposits clear) their own bank account. It's really lame. If you dare complain, you just know they will come back with that stupid suggestion that you must be trying to cheat on your taxes, which even if it were true, is not their damn business.
           This whole scenario reminds me of a total dickhead I met when I was 18. He promised us a dollar an hour to work for him. At the end of the week he got that stupid look on his face like, “You don't expect me to give you cash, do you?” He said payday was a week from the following Friday knowing very well that more than half of us would have to leave town before then [to get back to school].

           Getting the check meant a two hour bus ride halfway across town, and when you got there, the bastard had deducted withholding tax from the checks. Then he stalled until the banks were closed. Complaining merely revealed there was absolutely nothing illegal about this activity. Whenever I hear youngsters complain about this today, I advise them to make an anonymous call to the Income Tax Department about that withholding money. Sic one crook upon the other. In my world there would never be any income tax, you see, for nobody would take the job of collecting it.
           Thanks to getting that check instead of cash, I kind of missed the Christmas party over at Jimbo's. Another piece of bad news arrived this morning. It turns out that the title transfer agency never, in fact, put in the title transfer until early this morning. This is the outfit that swore to me three times on the telephone that they had sent in the request. Of course, The Urban Group, swore to me that they have been never, ever had a problem with this outfit before. Yet this entire operation has been about deliberate delays on their behalf. What are people supposed to think? I likely won't get the money for this trailer until early January, instead of November 19, 2006.

           Fortunately, Cowboy Mike called that he might be able to pay me a little bit early for transcribing those music scores. He seemed surprised when I complimented him on the quality of the music. That's wrong, because he is definitely a far better recording artist and I would ever be. The original problem was he was not a very good stage performer, and he confused that with criticism of his musical ability. His original music is meant to be listened to while you're driving along in your truck, but it is not something you would stand in line for.
           Okay, nice guy that I am, you get a second peak at the project. Now the rim is removed from the Frisbee. (Look at tomorrow's post. This picture was deleted by the more stringent security in play by 2016. It was just a photo of me looking through a frisbee with the center cut out, but the photo was closer than the stipulated 15 feet.) We have a peeky-hole for shut-ins to play with. I mean with all these pesky MS keyboard shortcuts that you can not disable, there must be millions of these people out there that we don't even know about. A huge untapped market. Still no guesses what it is? Okay, one last hint. I'm going to drill four tiny pilot holes and then screw it and glue it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++