Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 15, 2009

June 15, 2009

           Some continuing observations of the field trip y’day to Flamingo, Florida. That was the first time I’ve ever been bothered by mosquitoes in the swamp, at least to the extent of making me high-tail it for the car. I’m the type that naturally does not attract insects, so imagine the plight of others. The only wildlife seen besides birds was a deer crossing the road and an alligator watching for us to make a mistake.
           Something new means I have to mention it, and today it was a garbage can. Also today’s photo, I had to call Wallace over to look at this solar panel covering the top of the unit. Possibly these have been around for years but as a country musician, I really don’t spend much time inspecting garbage cans. That’s for jazz guitarists. Did I really say that? Anyway, Wallace figured it out, it is a trash compactor.
           We finally got to the end of the road around 2:00 PM, since we investigated every sight along the way. There is a store out there, but it is more for fishermen and tourists, they don’t sell any known brands of insect repellent. There is a tiny museum a short walk to the south, located upstairs in a building that plainly used to be something else. The entire area is a rather unique landscape, dominated by the famous “river of grass”, where the water flow just one hundred feet per day.
           There are various nature walks and trails off the main road. I can’t imagine camping outdoors in this climate, even in the winter it can be hot and muggy. It being still spring, I hoped to bring home a few of the thousands of Florida Pine cones that fall to the ground. But every last one was gone. Even the ones that hang in the trees had been picked and taken away. Despite walking into a grove in one of three forested campsites, there was not a single pine cone anywhere. What is the explanation?
           Maybe Ranger Leslie knows. If so, I hope she’ll contact me here and sends me a better picture. Here is the best one of the three I took, I’ll only publish this for a few days because this picture does not do her justice. (Later, I decided to let the picture stay as this page has been viewed only 45 times.) We also met a guy with a $45,000 customized Harley Trike, return later this week for photos.

           Back at the office, I got some abrupt bad news. Marney, the prospective tenant, called at 7:00 PM to say she didn’t want the room. She waited until the last possible moment, as in after I had driven up to Ft. Lauderdale and was waiting to give her a free ride over here. Well, I warned you many times how flakey the Florida people can get. She was a farm girl from Colorado but this area can be a magnet for the type who disappoint everybody they meet.
           Denise called to confirm her disks are all CDG. It is a pity that difficult format became a standard. These can be tedious to rip and special software is required to get at the lyrics. The files are also huge, in fact, the music tracks are the same as you get on a standard CD, which holds only 70 minutes of music. Her Karaoke machine is a CDG player with three bays. If nothing else, this equipment will get me familiar with what I’ll need for my new act. That alone puts me a few months ahead of doing everything on my own. Check back for progress reports.
           Fighting City Hall Dept. You know I love to do it. The reason is that as soon as an ordinance is passed, the individual inspectors begin to enforce it unevenly. Today the inspector told Fred his "neon banding" was prohibited under ordinance 8.6.G.19. Of course, I'm the type that look it up, and sure enough, sub-sub-Section G is a list of prohibited signs. Condition 19 states you cannot place neon banding around a prohibited sign. But paragraph 8 does not specifically prohibit a neon sign. The banding is therefore permitted because the banding is not placed around a prohibited sign.
           The entire paragraph 8 does not state whether neon is permitted or prohibited as a sign material. It is silent on the point and silence is not good enough to define non-compliance. Now you know the origin of my statement that I love law, but I hate lawyers.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++