Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

June 16, 2009

           Here’s the customized Harley I mentioned on the weekend. It is not something you’d go cross-country in. Too fancy. Those are car tires on the rear rims. The detailed chrome work is top-notch and I’m glad I’m not the one to keep it clean. The owner says it will tow a small trailer and he has replaced the transmission with a model that has no reverse gear. (Fancy that, tow a trailer.)
           I’ve designed a small database using File Maker Pro 8, and that program is already showing monumental limitations. There is no report module. One should not have to consult either the manual or the Internet to print out a report. There is no query module. I know that reports and queries are there, but why no button or instructions, why nothing on the File Maker webpages? I will eventually find them but shame on File Maker for not making these features super-intuitive. It’s not like databases just got invented last year. I want a big, fat, juicy menu option saying “Print Report”.
           Another shortcoming is File Maker has resorted to the (disgusting) “forum” instead of providing clear documentation about known quirks. That’s a cop out. Have you ever noticed forums and FAQ never quite address the problem you have, or are worded so badly you still can’t find anything? You just know File Maker made up half those questions themselves. Makes me glad I didn’t pay for their software. (But nor did I steal it, so relax.)
           Am I the walking wounded? Whatever bit me through my shirt on Sunday was not a mosquito. For openers, it knew to bite me on the shoulder blade right where I cannot get to it. I finally showed it to Wallace and he said it looks like, well, never mind what he said it looks like. I’m not allergic to anything so it was one big bad insect of which that swamp has no shortage.

           Denise came by with the Karaoke Machine and I am waiting for a spare evening at home to put it to the test. I ripped all the CDGs, whereupon Windows Media Player put them in wma format without even being asked. Does wma play back with the lyrics? I know it does not play them using WinAmp. Am I up against some idiot-proof copyright scheme? No matter, it will tumble and fall. (In the end, a special CD+G burner is required and I did not make the purchase.
           I’m doing a lot of repetitious work at the new job. That is how apprenticing works. It reminds me when I was young how many bosses would tell you things like working a wheelbarrow full of concrete was all part of learning the carpentry trade. Sure. My consolation is somehow knowing with their attitudes, all of them got caught up in the real estate bubble. If they complain, I'll tell them sweeping my floor is part of the computer trade. Money is not worth more because someone worked for it.

           Pudding-Tat is back on track. I reassembled my desk after a thorough termite inspection so I’m in the same room with her more often. All this cat instinct is beyond me. For the last two years she would not touch boiled chicken, now she loves it. She used to prefer dry cat food. She sniffs and spurns it. I’m certain all this is common knowledge on the cat forum. Since she has become an outdoor cat, I keep her with a flea collar and spray but she still manages to pick up hitch-hikers.
           I bumped into Marcus today, he is riding a bicycle and losing weight. I wish that worked for me. I’ll be approaching 3,900 miles on my bicycle in three years and have not lost an ounce.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++