Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, September 28, 2009

September 28, 2009

           I have a vision, yes it is coming to me now. Why, it is the Hollywood Plaza Hotel and I see this or something like it in so many people’s future. The people who made that killing in real estate since 1970, the ones who have been bragging how much money they’ve made on their houses. That’s $110 per week, share the bath down the hall. Once I had a client in this hotel, and the rooms are unbelievably cramped. But sometimes people just have to make do, you know, like the advice they gave back when they thought they were riding high. Look at the bright side, there will be so many others in the same boat to swap yarns with.
           Another big planning session with Arnel. He is back to work and good as new. This Christmas he is heading to Brazil for a month. That’s the kind of income I need from music, wouldn’t that be nice? I made the traditional error, in that I trusted a guitarist when I knew the bottom line is I have to develop my solo act. It was, mind you, the right decision at the time. I’m out the three and a half months but now have a revised song list.
           What has to change? Arnel says I must learn to sing. Yes, Arnel, and all a fat person has to do is lose weight. Compromise is again my choice. I can sing enough for around an hour, but at that point it has to become Karaoke. There is the possibility I could play along with the Karaoke show, as I am now local top dog at that kind of bass work. As back in May, there is still the matter of the $1,400 in new equipment I’ll be needing. Nor have I found the winning disk format. Arnel uses midi where I tend toward CD+G.

           Whiskey River. That is the name of the band from Boynton Beach. They are playing on October 23 and I intend to see them. (Oops, never made it.) Their contact would like me to show up for a practice first. Although both Arnel and I have heard of them, isn’t it something that we know nothing of a band operating just 27 miles away? (Turns out Boynton Beach is 42 miles.) Alas, Whiskey River is too popular a name for meaningful search results. The confluence of our song lists means I have to at least get to know these people. Or, as Arnel says, I could wind up playing the hospital ship.
           Rankin has been in touch. This is the either the owner or a very higher up in the new “Findiit.com” site. We are both tip-toeing around the idea of me helping out. I’ve explained my computer experience and degrees, as well as how they are not going to do much good for the site. But the skill set is there and it is hard to find disciplined thinkers these days. I told him to count me in if possible. Part of my offer was influenced by the fact that he at least knows how to capitalize his sentences. That is rare too. (I never heard back from this Rankin, either.)
           Hello? I can hear again but I’m still as tone-deaf as ever. The doc says I’m good to go but could not offer any explanation of how the problem occurred or anything to prevent a relapse. My hearing always was good, but the left side felt like a mild case of water in the ear that would not entirely go away. In the end, a $6 dose of ear drops from CVS took care of things. I do have curved “adult” ear canals. Probably caused by all those compulsory phone company meetings. Work there long enough and the water gets past the ear and onto the brain.
           I dropped by Jimbos after hours to work the Sudoku puzzle. By coincidence, half the dart teams also showed up, which always makes for lively fare. Don’t mistake the Jimbos team for a bunch of fuddy-duddies. (“Who let the darts out?”) Jimbos has staff professionally trained with plastic spray guns to hose down horny women who crawl up on the bar. I won’t mention any names, Leanne.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++