Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 27, 2009

           Remember the potato starch cookies? I made them and they are quite okay. Crispy. My rationale was that as far as cookie ingredients can go, potato starch was not bad. The physics are strange but the cookies are feather light, the 24 shown here are just a half pound. Since I added the margarine and egg, they are home made. Technically.
           Lap banding. I looked it over to discover only vague descriptions of the actual procedure. Whereas I am finally accepting what several doctors have said, that my weight gain is hereditary, I’m open to all reasonable options. I’m saying there is more than curiosity to this search. The clinics state it is non-invasive (using a variety of unclear terms) and that one can return to work within a few days. Oh goodie doctor, I never had a job before. It seems to be a clamp of some type that constricts the stomach volume.
           Such procedures are probably useless without an accompanying change in lifestyle. That’s where the question arises if the change alone would not be enough. The shills say they lost “up to” 100 pounds in a year. A year is a long time. The technique was pioneered in Europe. Europe is a big place. The skinny (ha-ha) on this one is the cost. It is $30,000 (ads saying less are bogus). The credit plan has payments of $200 per month, so let me calculate it out assuming a mild 5% interest.
           Rounded, that comes to 236 payments or around 20 years, a total payback of $47,180 thereabouts. Roughly the same as a two bedroom house in North Broward. At $472 per pound, they must have tested it in Poland. That’s got to be twice the cost of the Big Macs that put it there, you slobs. They didn’t lie, that kind of money would indeed be a lifestyle change for the most of us. Think Lexus.

           Theresa called from Camp Wilmie, made my day. I invited her back any time. It would be nice to have somebody to hang out with again. Somebody in the same demographic, I mean. Contrary to the impression I got during my visit, she reports the job situation there is not good at all. Admit it or not, this recession has torn the heart out of this country and there will be no mercy since we had it coming. Fifty years of living on credit and the fiesta is finito.

           [Author's note 2015-09-27: This was written before Theresa turned into the Cave Woman. It transpired she had every intention of moving into my place and not paying rent. I understand now that she is a frustrated woman who cannot get along with anybody more than a few weeks. She is also very repressed in most emotional ways and spends her waking hours projecting her own evil schemes onto others. Her only talent appears to be pretending to be easy-going when you first meet. Sad, it is.]

           Arnel checked in, he is pretty much recovered from the appendicitis. That means he’ll be performing next week. He is still convinced I’d put on a good show by learning to play guitar and singing, using midi tracks, similar to his show. But I’ve tried to learn guitar, it just doesn’t have the uniqueness I need in what I play. There is another thing if you watch closely. Most other “singing” bassists can’t sing and play bass well at the same time. For whatever fancy licks they do solo, they revert to root bass as soon as they start singing. Having never played guitar, I don’t have that problem. Just something I point out, so I’ll stick with the bass.
           Modern Marvels said the first “Coke machine” was invented in 1939. That has some interesting implications concerning the labor market even back then. Knowing Florida, that machine is probably still in use down in the Keys.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++