Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7, 2009

           Fun and games at the shoe shop. Here is a pair of CFM boots, although I did not call them that in case the boss wanted to know what it meant. In the left jpeg, you see the laces and on the right side, that’s me polishing the thigh part. With vigor. In reality, shoes do nothing for me and the chrome lugs are only for show. There is a hidden zipper on the other side. The laces were removed for repair, they are some 88 inches long. Alfredo put them back in as I explained that I had no experience lacing women’s things back up.
           What? You don’t know what CFM stands for? It’s a good thing this blog is so chock full of information. I’ll meet you a third of the way by telling you the M stands for “Me”. After all these years I finally found out what patent leather is. Hey, to me shoes are shoes, not a big deal. Do they look good and feel right? Fine. Today’s boots are plastic, but that shiny finish is what patent leather looks like. It’s hard to polish and likes to show streaks in the gloss.
           It was a wasted half day swapping out computers to carry on with my projects. There is never a good time for a breakdown but how do these Windows-based systems know when you’re in the middle of something? I’ve learned to throw in upgrades during these repair jobs and today I got the drivers for multiple camera work. Y’day it was a single camera and tomorrow, I should be able to tap into the Internet. There is quite an extensive manual so I believe that will represent a couple weeks of hard study for me.
           If you are the least interested in this type of computer gadgetry, stick with me. Some may find surveillance cameras a boring proposition and you are probably right. But each round of technological advance brings a new crop of Internet billionaires, or have you noticed? True, I hope to make a few dollars with surveillance, but I don’t have any preconceived notions concerning these cheap cameras. I know that youTube isn’t live. I know it is a hassle to produce video for Internet posting. I was fascinated by the camera feed on the Spitzbergen Islands and just know I could come up with something more exciting.

           The technology is my puppy, not the actual devices. Knowing my brain, one good idea will follow another, knowing my luck, I’ll be too slow. I’ve toyed with a dozen concepts in the two hours since I got the multiple feeds to operate. If you contribute an idea that pays, remember I have a huge reputation concerning my sense of fair play. Here are a few of the notions that flitted through my brain. (Please don’t be too critical, this is a brainstorming session not meant to consider what is practical.)

           A) The cameras are so cheap, they could be placed in peril situations. I can get closer to the fire, the hurricane, the shootout than any cameraman would dare. Or drop one right into the fire.
           B) I counted 860 some intersections in Hollywood, meaning $17,200 worth of cameras could monitor how many millions of dollars in auto collisions? (I made $200 taping crashes with a video camera in Wallace’s living room window ten years ago.)
           C) Remember that Clint Eastwood movie where the remote control car chased him down the streets? The camera on this computer weights 1/2 ounce.
           D) Construction sites, that’s where the big money could be. Rent a security system and prevent pilferage. A 32-camera system, something only the wealthy could afford today, would cost me less than $1,000 in materials.
           E) My background with the telecom industry tells me I am not responsible for what people do with what I sell them. The usage of this equipment has staggering potential in "certain adult areas". And I never just said that.

           Again, only brainstorming.

           Who remembers my first foray into networking only four years ago? This is a similar crossroad. Every idea I bat around still shows how my background is cables and wire. I need a wireless system set up like that network Don and I had on my kitchen table over on Wilson. Then I will really start to brainstorm. Are you along for the ride?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++