Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 23, 2009

November 23, 2009

           This is not a steam engine. It is a $1,500 barbeque, roughly modeled on the one Carlos left here. It has a bigger chimney that will smoke things, and a little bun warmer on the lower right. Sure, it has wheels but it weights 250 pounds. Maybe this is the contractor’s model. I still say it is just a bigger rig than ours.
           If you are looking for inspiration or a pep talk, avoid today’s blog. There are so many lazy liars in the system that those with legitimate claims get put on the waiting list and treated like dirt. Don’t get me wrong, I allow for it, but I must pity the unsuspecting ones who get caught up. It is fully possible to work while being loony, ugly, obnoxious and unpopular, these are not disabilities. Look at the civil service.
           In the news today, some native Indian lady was cut off disability benefits for “depression” when an insurance agent found videos of her partying on youTube. (It seems companies with medical insurance hire these depression cases 200 to 300 times as often as companies with no insurance.) I’ve an opinion on that. I understand being depressed is a matter of degree, since it happens to everybody. But at what point is depression cause to stop working and party?
           To me, at the point just short of being confined to an institution, of unable to function in society or at home. You must be so crazy you are a danger to society, not merely yourself. I’ve worked with people whose personal life was a shambles. They were so depressed it was annoying to work beside them, but it was no worse than being stationed next to a TV jock, a co-dependent or a Seven-Dayer. Whacko or not, they still crawled into work every day. I don’t buy this depressed “sometimes” nonsense or can’t “deal with the pressure”. The lady’s picture (in the article) showed not a single worry-line or wrinkle one would associate with deep, contorted mental aberration.
           Kudos to the sharp-eyed insurance agent. The lady is claiming her doctor told her to go have some fun; he should be on the docket as well. Apparently fun to depression cases means momentary distraction and does not involve the on-going benefits a good book or an evening course. (At the same time, I know that to some types, reading is very depressing because they discover they are full of it. No jokes about my family here, please.)
           Nail her female aboriginal ass to the wall, IBM. Depression, my eye. I’m not talking about merely being depressed, but claiming one cannot work over it. A truly depressed person would have no concept of drinking and dancing at a night club as a form of anti-depression. Doctor’s orders indeed. She would say that, wouldn’t she?
I noted the address on the article was in Toronto. Gee, she’s gonna go to a night club and witness all the young, single, blonde, skinny white girls get first pick. Then the rich, educated and charming ones. Darn, how depressing, you know what I’m saying. If I can adjust to the unfairness in this world, so can “depressed” women. But she’ll probably win the case. Playing the underdog in the Canadian legal system has never failed any woman in history.
           While I’m red-assing, rip-off that the Internet is, I still have to thank the USA for it. Short of real estate, there is probably no other single large gathering of con artists being ignored by the authorities. My search for information on the business card project was intercepted by every two-bit shyster imaginable, yet I was still able to sift through the nonsense and get some details. Due to lack of an index, it is traditionally impossible to find anything on the Internet unless you already know what it is.
           The original concept of the flyer was a restaurant “placement mat”. It is amazing how many people suddenly remembered that term after I dug it up myself. I wanted information on how other people were conducting this business and what prices they were charging. Most Internet types fancy themselves clever trying to turn your question into a “selling opportunity”, but if you keep focused, the information is there. Hooray for American dot coms, bringing computer criminality right into our homes.
           I won’t leave you cheerless and without trivia. Let’s see, um, okay, everybody remembers that photo of the movie audience wearing the 3D glasses. What was the name of the movie they were watching? It was called “Bwana Devil”, the first full-length such production. That was so much fun, here is more. If you leave you computer, monitor and printer on all year, they will use $105 worth of electricity. Multiply that by the hundreds of millions. That’s a lot of juice.