Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 22, 2009

November 22, 2009


           It’s not the overgrowth you’ll find on the bayou. This scene is from a park over on Jefferson. Get your map, the city streets here are not named in any logical order. Not alphabetical, chronological or even by presidential term. The reason for this seems to be nothing other than to confuse tourists. Is probably the only thing in Florida that works so well. These branches are around eighty feet long.
           Sunday is always a good time to talk food. It’s been enough time to learn to cook and according to the diners, I have. Today I threw a seven pound picnic shoulder in the oven, with carrots, onions, garlic and pepper. Man, what an aroma for the next two hours. That will cure Wallace’s poor appetite since the flu was around a few weeks ago.
           That’s served with brown rice, sweet corn, bread and coffee. Sort of a teaser for Thanksgiving, you might say. Wallace reports it smelled so good while he was walking up the road he thought it was from the wrong house. Told ya. Just keep at it, I think a lot of people who don’t cook may also not know how to shop for things in the quantities needed. I know for I had to learn it late.
           What’s more, once you learn to time things, you can get stuff done instead of waiting around the kitchen like some cooks I know. I wrote two half crossword puzzles. It is better to do them in halves, as it breaks any mental locks or moods that affect the word choices. Didn’t know that, did you? I’ve got one Xmas theme going, another with no real topic. Notice how things go together so naturally, like cooks and crosswords. Makes perfect sense to me, doesn’t every cook know how to write those puzzles?
           I’m still just playing with the idea of the crosswords, testing if it is any easier than it was twenty years ago. I should have a better vocabulary. Plus a lot of new words have crept in, like ROM, email, and roflmao. I wish I had kept my pile of duds. Every author has a stack of them that are 90% complete but cannot be finished. I know I threw them out but anyway, a 15x15 is several magnitudes more difficult than my old 12x12s. What we need is a crossword dictionary that lists the truly oddball strings like letters on the phone dial. Don’t look at me, it would be a monumental task.

           Learning to cook has taught me a few other lessons. While I always understood that food seems expensive, I can now understand the housewife that complains of the cost of putting together a good meal. Complementary foods are rarely on sale at the same time. But this is not to say I understand or agree with the prices that restaurants charge for ordinary meals. I cannot see paying $20 for pasta, no matter where you are.
           Tomorrow is the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. The more tasteless television stations are showing movies featuring snipers. Others are doing documentaries around the more gruesome aspects of ballistics and human skulls. I doubt it really matters any more if there was a conspiracy. I never bought into that Kennedy legacy stuff anyway; they came along after the presidency was really performing any true leadership role.
           Much later, around midnight, I get a call. I missed out on a paying gig because the Hippie didn’t have my phone number. Argh! Could have used the cash but I have no control in that situation. He did mention that he was paying his bassist, who still didn’t show up. You don’t turn down music money in this town. The Hippie, a.k.a. “The G” has an all-dayer on Dania Beach. But I also have a paying gig on my home turf that day.
           Last, I took the liberty of writing a pep letter to North Carolina. Although the manners of business operation have changed, the rules applying to startup have not. When you begin, if you have any other purpose in mind except making money, you will fail. Ah, you might ask, what do I mean about the part that has changed? Business has become “democratized”, meaning that business is now conducted to include the betterment of the managers, shareholders and staff.
           A hundred years ago, the sole purpose of business was the enrichment of the owner. The Rockefellers, Morgans and Du Ponts never gave a ratz-azz about anybody else. I once worked for a company whose boots were firmly cemented in that era. The reason I know so much about this subject is that I am convinced the next round of public rip-offs is going to be the failure of many pension plans. I believe millions of workers are about to develop an instant clear understanding of what “fully-funded” means when they discover they do not have it. My plan, for the record, is fully funded and insured.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++