Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 11, 2010

           This is a photo of some new construction, Florida style. I’ve stated in the past that palms are not native to this area, but my sources were wrong. Some are native, just none of the ones that look nice. Sort of like divorcees. The top floor of this monstrosity is occupied by LA Fitness. Wanna buy two life memberships?
           I’ll tell you what would be a useful invention. An electric harmonica that changes key. We’ve all seen the harp player show up with his bag of harmonicas. Somebody ought to do something. Bingo last night was average, although we had some new faces, some of the regulars did not show. One couple won over $230, a quarter of the total. They also asked if I did a Karaoke show.
           Yes and no, but you are curious why somebody at Jimbos would have to ask. Easy, my two shows never overlapped. None of the new bingo people have ever seen my act. Maybe I’ll throw something together for next week, let the word get out. Particularly since I know that couple is from the Legion out on 441 and Hallandale, which pays $100 (plus tips) for a nothing Monday Karaoke. That sounds funny, let me reword it: early weekday gigs are always welcome.
           I don’t have those massive Karaoke catalog binders, but do I need them? Anyway, I would have no trouble fronting a Karaoke show now, which is, I know, a retrograde step in my illustrious and decade-spanning musical career. It would not hurt to have such a show in reserve, I figure. I’ll slate that for early September. Trust me, as far as part-time ventures go, there is nothing out there that begins to compare with music. Nothing.

           “Science Illustrated” has finally done an article on the pollen dust mentioned here long ago (February 3, 2010). Grains of pollen, in certain combinations and species, are traceable to anywhere on earth, including the polar regions. Interestingly, said article stressed how the dust was used to overturn speculative prosecution. Lawyers tried to pin an airplane crash on the builders, who were able to show the fuel line was clogged by dust from elsewhere.
           This reminds me of Ellery Queen mysteries, which I have been reading again because one doesn’t dare go outside in this heat. More accurately, I read his collections (I am quite aware Queen is really two authors). Most of his tales don’t really give you all the clues you need to catch the crook, for there is always some factor introduced after he claims to have given you enough to go on. Like, how were we supposed to know the boss had recently divorced his wife for the secretary, Miss Bunhaven? Pollen dust, of course. From his yacht on her bra, causing Ellery to sneeze. Repeatedly. Or at least, make his eyes water.

           The day was too hot, so here’s some random information. Fred got one of those five-blade razors as seen on TV. The ones with the water activated gel. He went to pick up a new pack of blades. They were $29. The razor is now in the nearest dumpster. I once worked with a dude named Derek who spent six months saving up for a fishing trip and only caught two tiny jackfish. He was so disappointed; he got drunk and lost a day. He got home thinking it was Sunday, threw newspaper with the fish on his loveseat and went to sleep. Had to replace the loveseat.
           I tried watching TV. Who’s seen the commercial about the gal who starts a baking business in her apartment? She is saving up to buy a Toyota. Duh, I could be wrong, but don’t you buy the car before you start the business? Then again, I don’t know how Toyota goes about these things. I’m also reading about the Ra expedition, where the Thor guy sails a papyrus boat most of the way across the Atlantic. Thor has one of those strange complexes where he feels compelled to prove he is not prejudiced, but to the point past where it clouds his judgment.
           For example, he chooses an Italian because that the south of Europe and he is from the north. Sure. An America and a Soviet because they are political opposites. A black because the others are white, and so on. What a screwball. What ever happened to selecting people because they were the best qualified for the work? He makes a big deal that he hung the flags of their countries in alphabetical order. Since alphabets and flags are man-made, why not by colors of the rainbow? Know what I’m saying? There is a name for what Thor’s got running amok in his brain.
           Last, for those who feel sports are in indispensable thing, I cannot name even one professional athlete in the world today. Back in 1998, I could recognize a baseball player named McGuire, but only on TV while he was at bat. I guess that goes to show how necessary sports are to a reasonably full and productive life. Hold on, I’ve heard of two Olympic athletes. Jesse Owens and Mark Spitz. Didn’t they become car wash attendants or something to that effect?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++