Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 1, 2010

November 1, 2010

           I held an open mic at Buddy’s, unfortunately nobody showed up. This can happen on rent day or rent week in general. But, my show always goes on and we may be in that place more solidly than I think. It would have been a good show to video and just this afternoon I rejected an AVI camcorder that cost merely $25.00. It was from Jazz and even if it is a piece of junk, that price was unheard of for a digital recorder only ten years back. Reason for rejection: Jazz products lack any external power source, it is batteries or nothing, making them expensive to operate and unreliable in combat.
           Thanks to a rainstorm that could not make up its mind, I had breakfast at McDonalds for the first time in years. It may be the last. They have gone the route of taking a dollar off the advertised cost of the meal, then adding $1.50 back on for the coffee. That fast food meal cost me $5.08 and I consider the separate coffee a sneaky trick since one had to strain to see they’ve removed it from the overhead picture. I just paid restaurant prices for fast food. Next time, I’ll go to Senor CafĂ©, where you get more than you can eat for $6.00.
           To cheer me up, I bought a sampler of cologne called “Dark Temptation” from Unilever. Will it make me irresistible to the opposite sex? Will it wean me away from “Old Spice”? I have to admit, it is pretty nice stuff, so check in tomorrow to see how I fared. Remember tonight is bingo in a bar and unlike Jimbos, there are single women at Buddy’s.

           As a child, I was skeptical about swimmer’s getting cramps. I’ve never had a muscle cramp. Until early this morning. For no reason, my right calf suddenly developed a pain like nothing before I could relate to. I doubt it is from riding since my left side was fine. With nothing to do but wait it out for ten minutes, at least now I comprehend that should one get a cramp while swimming, they are in serious trouble.
           Bryne reports that after these months of futile resumes, he is beginning to get responses. One of them is from a major importer of Irish whiskey. Why they would want a marine electrical engineer on staff, we cannot figure out. But they are interested and pay well. Put him be in charge of quality control in the department of free samples. That’s a joke. I’ve never tasted Irish whiskey and wouldn’t know it from Ukrainian potato alcohol. He certainly has the credential of being the most Irish guy around here.

           Now that I want to get the 49cc bicycle motor, the guy that was advertising locally has disappeared. When I buy a kit, I prefer to deal with somebody nearby rather than save a few bucks. These motors vary widely in price, from $150 up to $650 so I wanted to start at the low end. I saw the ad just last Saturday, now it is gone.
           It is easy to tell the welfare women in the library. They are fat, noisy, talk on their cell phones, have undisciplined kids who run wild, and generally act pretty low grade. You might say that is not enough to go on, but the obnoxious one today told the librarian she wanted to “get on the computer” because she had to “fix her welfare”. I don’t care what the studies say, there is a common behavior pattern to the losers of this world. I wish I’d had some earplugs for sale.
           Hallandale Beach library is the loudest, where the ignorant staff there let anybody make as much noise as they please. Today two of the staff argued out loud for twenty minutes over the spelling of a name. One said it looked like an “m”, the other said it was an “n”. It took them the full time stated to decide the guy’s name was not “Jonatham”. This is the type of moron with $61,000 per year city jobs around these parts.

           On-line I may have answered my question last day about a Morse code club. Foolish me, I was searching with ordinary English. The keywords needed were “brasspounder” and “CW”. Gee, aren’t those the first two things that spring to mind when somebody mentions Morse code? There are several options to transmit over the Internet. I tend to disagree with software that allows the sender to type the letters and lets the program translate it into dots and dashes at a specified count per minute. That doesn’t give you experience with a variety of styles.
           There are quite a few clubs, give me a while to sift through the offerings. Some clubs use a type of web cam to send the code as a string of chirping sounds (from the limited samples I found). I’ll tell you what was a hoot, though. Most web sites include a section at the bottom inviting comments. All of the responses were .. _. .. _ _ _ ._. … . and getting pretty ripe. One other aspect that delayed my search was that I know International code, not the American version and this makes an SEO difference.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++