Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 31, 2010

           Still examining the pub on wheels, I’ve watched three short on-line videos to see the thing in action. It seems to top end around five miles per hour with everybody pedaling in the same direction, forward as it were. There must be some kind of idler pulley or whatever you call it. I observed that like a bicycle linkage, the people not pedaling were able to coast along. There’s always one.
           Keep in mind this concept is nothing but wild speculation. But nor are there any serious impediments in terms of parts or materials and I further speculate if I had one I could make $1,000 tonight. I believe it fairly easy to produce one of these contraptions, and to build it stronger than shown in the available photos. The seats are all the same height, maybe this could be made adjustable and I would put chain guards.
           None of the pictures show the drive train in any detail. The waiver to ride contains clauses about damage, indicating it may not be all that sturdy. I would reinforce the joints with gussets and consider making the roof removable or collapsible. Apparently the roof racks are where the customer-supplied refreshments are stored. The steering mechanism reminds me of a go kart. And how about a couple on the back pedaling to operate some fans? Insurance is a good idea, though the literature says nobody has ever fallen off one of these.
           Theresa seems to be gone, but a lot of her stuff is still here. I was unaware she lost the storage locker (until she said), but then I was the one that told her not to bring anything. While unloading the truck, there looked to be a lot of family things. It’s a pity to lose such items, and she did have a rough childhood. As McManus would say, it’s a good thing nobody back then had yet invented childhood psychology or she might have been emotionally scarred for life.
           I can report a successful Halloween gig slash party. Jagger is definitely learning this unfamiliar music and I’m having to remind him not to over-play. That is not the sound we are going for. I told you the guy had talent. We completed two hours and still had a few tunes in reserve. To play out, we need three full hours. It is unlikely we would quit now. We were earlier competing with TV football so we ran through the weakest tunes we know and still got the tips. Sooner or later, we will connect with a club that loves what we do.
           The extra attention paid to arranging each tune is finally beginning to make a lot of friends. We have stumbled across another crowd-pleaser with Buffet’s “Volcano” which I picked up from Pat-B. It has a tricky bass line, so while I was at it I learned the steel drum motif which complements the bass notes. Next I figured why stop there, why not play a combination of both? To my sincere surprise, the crowd loves it. Now if I could only remember all those lyrics.
           My singing remains the weak spot. I’m on key, but I’m overwhelmed by remembering words while playing bass and operating the drum box. This brand of problem gets defeated by intense practice so I had better get off my tush. Also, my ear tends to “hear” harmonies and I get thrown. I have to concentrate so much that my bass playing starts to sound like a failed guitarist on bass, and we cannot have that. (For a lesson on what a guitarist sounds like when he tries to sing and play bass at the same time, listen to Blink-182.)
           Next new tune on the roster is that “Cause I Got High” by Afroturf or something like that. Sorry, I don’t follow artists, only individual tunes chosen for audience effect so often I could not even care less who plays it. Afroman? Yeah, Afroman.