Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, January 9, 2011

January 9, 2011


           You’ve probably never seen a turtle like this one unless you hang around Africa a lot. Alaine’s neighbor raised it since it fit in your hand. It is trained like a dog and comes when called, and apparently can eat anything. I spent the afternoon in Miami thanks to cheap transportation. We walked around the nearby streets, where she knows everybody by name. Then again, so would I if all my neighbors were millionaires.
           The people on my street don’t speak English. One lady brought me a frozen pie called “Poulet”. Since I have no way to keep it, I regifted it to Dave-O, who is looking really gaunt these days. Whereas he’s a tough character, he seems unusually susceptible to common ailments. Myself, I have not had even a tummy-ache in ten years.

           Back to Alaine’s, the crown molding was done when I arrived so we toured a fancy garden being built by a religious group. While not hydroponic, it is a series of watered troughs around two feet off the ground, making it easier to weed. From there, we drove Corey’s car over to dad’s. They were at church so we sat on the patio until they arrived. The whole yard has JP’s touch. He’s been there on a daily basis to help out for some ten months now.
           So we watched the monster TV with 400 channels without finding anything interesting except aerial shots of Italian ruins, when JZ and I agreed the unseen announcer must be some kind of total babe. You can tell by the confident accent she knows it, too. The rock veneer is peeling off JZ’s condo and the city is moving to have the building condemned rather than repaired. We may be neighbors again sooner than anyone planned.
           JZ is getting pretty solid and he surely loves his five meals a day. I’m still, all these years later, on my diet that has produced no results other than not gaining. I forget what ice cream tastes like, I’m getting that way with beef, and I have finally quit dreaming of peanut butter and chocolate. Something odd about today, Alaine was surprised that I knew anything about leaves, rocks, plants and such. We usually bicycle so I suppose we’ve never just walked around before so much as today. I assumed she was used to intellectual chit-chat.

           The motorcycle trip was perfect both ways. This blog purposely has no index, but I’m sure I’ve mentioned before it is two miles longer coming back than driving down, no matter which route you take. I went through Miami Beach again, it really isn’t tourist weather. And the crowds are far smaller. I like that trip, it takes me passed Miami Harbor with all the cruise ships. They aren’t the biggest ships as up in Ft. Lauderdale, but you can at least see them. Port Everglades on the other hand is all behind fences and guardposts.
           On the return leg, I stopped at the Barn for two hours. They are doing a booming business now that Borders shut the doors. I found a few interesting books on robotics and electronics. The prices were astronomical. If you want to know which articles will have the worse price inflation, merely read a list of things I really like a lot.
           I’ve finished Ablow’s “Murder Suicide”. Yes, read it, but I can’t give it top rating for several reasons. The plot tapers off at the end, he’s still introducing new characters when the book is 75% over, and he doesn’t seem to grasp that there are millions of people who don’t have the same problems as broken-hearted detectives who are still dumb enough to fool around at the office. On the plus side, the book is full of action with very little violence and the author’s background in medicine shows through. Just keep in mind some of the paragraphs can get pretty deep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++