Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 29, 2011

           Here’s something you never saw before. This is not your generic dash GPS, but a fully functional iPhone interface built into Agt. M’s car. All apps are available, including said GPS, and it is the next generation of convenience. Those who recognize the vehicle say where’s the radio? It is moved down below his hand shown here. Yes, the movies and tunes will play and it is touch screen. Meet RoboCar. Total cost? Around $123 once you know how.
           Agt. M is still a heavy fan of the antenna technology. I wanted to shelve it as taking too long without results, but after hearing his reasons, I will study the topic again. In particular, folded dipoles. The talk of extending WiFi cover comes and goes over the years but until the coverage is universal, there will always be a need for long range antennas.
           Some statistics are due here today, says the rulebook. The average person who worked their entire lives will be getting only $1,178 per month Social Security. That is really a piss poor return on investment. (It still does not rival my worst retirement investment which will pay $392 per month and I have to wait until 60 for that.) And get this, guess what the Social Service admin people are advising people? To “test out a smaller budget”. Gee, doesn’t that sound like my very own “practice retirement” of six years ago? Next damn thing they’ll be telling them to move into trailers.
           Ray-B came over, he’s on summer vacation. Visitors welcome, I was housebound all day for preparations for my stay in the clinic tomorrow. Ray-B is amenable to the idea of helping out with the backing tracks. I may have to target some of the smaller clubs on weekdays but anything is better than staying at home and doing nothing on a weekend. I even look forward to bingo if things get slow enough.
           Ray-B has developed a series of chord inversions that use octaves and register changes in response to the traditional dead spots that develop if a rhythm player tries to do lead breaks without accompaniment. It is beyond what I could learn but it would be ideal if I could record the parts. Midi tracks have never been up to par with guitar sounds.
           He has also seen a battery powered PA system by Roland. For me, it would depend on the weight and size, but I will be looking closely at it soon. He owns a battery bass amp and reports a decent battery life from the same company. I’m about 2/3 of where I need to be in vocals to carry a full gig by myself, so now is the time to be making up the tracks. No matter what, they would be a valuable asset. So the sooner the better.
           Testing the water for bass playing, I also read Craigslist today. Something truly funny is the occasional ad for a “stand up bassist”. This worn out concept is one of the more ossified forms of “guitar think”. I’ve got five bucks says it is some third rate guitarist “into jazz” exhibiting his best original thinking. Gee, a bass player that will never be a threat to his impeccable on-stage charisma but is so quaint and kewl with that beast of an instrument way back there. Where he belongs.