Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 13, 2011

           The story behind this picture is unusual. It is a still from my new helmet cam, a $40 item that works so well that I doubt it was really made by Vivitar. Thanks to bingo and a recent price drop, I picked up this low-end unit mainly to see how it worked. It is so simple, there was no manual. After reading several bad reviews on this product, I correctly concluded the complainers were no-techs who shouldn’t be handling electronic devices in the first place.
           These cameras range from $40 to $400, the top end include GPS stamping and image stabilizers. I paused to wonder what manner of idiot needs a stabilizer on a camera that is controlled by head movement. Then I recalled the advertising is aimed at the jock market. Those useless surplus jocks who risk their necks, not for science or exploration, but because they think it increases their chances of getting laid. The world needs more pictures of dumb apes kayaking to their deaths over Niagara Falls.
           The camera is rugged, it does one thing and does it well. It can’t be a Vivitar. The media is a standard SD card, though you may have to format it back to FAT. Note the clarity of the still today and the fine color resolution. Those are two guys who I hope are installing free WiFi for this establishment. The picture is through the patio doors and as you see, I have friends who write messages on the glass. So far, I am quite impressed with the camera and it gets a full half-hour of AVI per gigabyte.
           An unexpected bonus was the exceptional sound quality. Enough that I can video my practice sessions with enough clarity to accompany the original. That’s not clear, but trust me, I need the feedback and this camera delivers. It is a learning tactic based on how I approach music that I intend to perform, a type of two-way process as opposed to just listening to the tune. Speaking of practice, I still cannot strum more than 90 minutes total no matter how long a break I take. It is less tiring than bass, but harder on the wrist and fingertips.
           The budget is complete for 2012, week by week. It took a little fine tuning after receiving my annual pension report. You may be hearing more of something called “Option 22”, available only to Gold members. Such as myself. It seems a lot of my co-workers who thought they had better use for the extra $19.32 per paycheck back then are now discovering you can’t join the Gold club after you are 32. Nope, guys, you had to think ahead, and as it turned out, far further ahead than any of them could have imagined. That is more strange considering how they bragged about having good families who would, presumably, have counseled them on these matters.
           I spent an hour in Barnes reading for free. Hey, a Popular Science magazine is $7.00 these days and more full of advertising than ever. I read the best 100 ideas of the year and found it to be rather quaint how some people think. That new water jet pack is not, to me, a planet-shaking innovation, rather just another MDBA. What? That’s a “male dominated beach activity”. I’ve decided against buying the Arduino programming book at $60, it is better to re-read what I’ve got and ace it. I did read some advanced project specs and found I could now follow the concepts. That’s a positive.
           To anyone familiar with the Arduino, I’m getting more and more drawn toward the libraries. They are a type of subroutine written for C that purport to simplify the use of certain peripherals such as and LCD. They are needlessly complicated and use “yoda speak” commands. “Page.print” instead of print page type of nonsense. I like them because they isolate you from having to go through hoops because C doesn’t have the right commands, but I dislike them because you must put your faith in somebody who actually likes C. Scary.