Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11, 2011


           Have you ever seen 35,000 motorcycles? I have. Heard them too. Kind of like a small earthquake on the horizon. This was a rally at the Mardi Gras. This was taken moments before one of those Florida squalls that soaks everything for 15 minutes, then leaves you muggy damp for the next two hours. Other than that it was a great event. So great, the helicopter news cameras kept half the town from their Sunday naps and slowed traffic on Federal to a creepy-crawl until past noon.



           Like a good accountant, I figure those cycles are worth a conservative $20,000 each. That means roughly $70 million of metal at this one party. This is something the world does not always understand, that even on the way down, America is by far the richest nation in history. Take a good look. And the Japs are going to invade who?

           Now some serious inspection. The guitar gig last night went too well for the level of my ability. People reacted to something other than my new-found chording and this development must be reviewed. A dozen people commented that my choice of music was impressive, but I tend to play feel-good pieces anyway. So, what went right and why did it go right?
           Now to inspect the gig last evening. It went too well to be explained by my three weeks of guitar practice alone. People were reacting to the show, not my guitar and if possible I would like to cash in on that. I got kudos for an impressive set, but that has to be tempered by my penchant for playing feel-good music in the first place. People in the audience who never say anything came up to the stage. Like the club owner.

           Since I’m not that great, let’s look at what went right. First, the drum box, which I can totally syncopate with thanks to my piano/bass background. I already have a liking for vocals that don’t “follow” the music, which I like even more because others struggle with it. When I play it, there is a combination of the drum box, apparently unsynchronized vocals and now some piano-like off-beat strumming.
           This combination isn’t new, what is new is that before doing it on my own, I [formerly] assumed another musician was necessary. I did not invent this three-in-one technique, but it certainly gives the impression of the music being multi-dimensional. This is a superior product to the “hum and strum” standard in this town. I’m incredulous at the musicians who won’t use a drum box, but will use backing tracks.

           For that matter, most local musicians don’t know the correct method of using a drum box. It must be played, not just tromped on and off. It would take a chapter to explain this, but that and not using a different beat for every song is a very common error.
           Finally, by rhythms are matched to the musical theme. I wasted two years seeking a guitarist who understood this concept and I had so-called professionals tell me it was wrong. Guitar school must teach small minds to start the song of great, but revert to boring licks during the remainder of the tune. Maybe they think it makes their lead breaks sound better, or something equally ridiculous.
           My strumming often mimics other instruments, and I am meticulous about keeping that motif going for the entire song. Unless you sing, guitar practice is a boring chore. However, playing bass has handsomely prepared me for the role. I suspect this method will never be popular for the guitar part gets reduced to just another component.

           Now that I know I can sell this music competitively, I’ll lean into it. One thing I do claim is perfect timing, not just near-perfect. This makes it possible to lead or follow the beat to adapt to the audience mood. I am on to something that works, so look out Clapton and Hendrix.
           See the broken bulb? This scooter eats tail lights. I’ve replace them so often, I’ve secured the plastic flange under the fender with tie-straps so I don’t have to remove bolts to get at the socket. The scooter is in great shape at one third of its life cycle, probably because I’ve put a third of its purchase price into upkeep. First world dilemma: do scooters have a life cycle or a cycle cycle?

ADDENDUM
           Later, Colorado called for a two-hour conference. All is not right, but that is based on others, you know, outsiders, making things difficult. While hoping for everything to work out, if it does not, we now have a solid backup plan. There was little doubt that at some point I would be in Colorado anyway. Nobody has gotten between us, not even her four husbands or my Robyn. And this time, we have money.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++