Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November 27, 2013


           My age, now having past the point of no return, makes it time to look up certain people from the past, mostly where I worked. Not enemies, but in the process meeting enemies will happen. Why? Because invariably people I like tend to chum with those I don’t. Just not at the same time. One of the things I’ve done is write for a company directory. But it turns out in the Internet era, they may have stopped publishing that thing. I know I didn’t like it as it listed a lot more private information than just your name. I can’t recall how often I was approached by professional beggars (registered charities) who talked like old friends who I’d forgotten. It took me three years to get my name off that list. Anyway, this was a wise move, as I quickly located some people I should never have lost touch with.
           Here’s a California orange grove. It is so uniform that the trees look like clones. I saw these by the million on laser-leveled fields. I suspect there is at least one orange tree in California for every American. This degree of production is aimed at future demand. But why do those trees look genetically modified? The orchards I wasted my youth in sure never looked that pretty.

           As you can tell, we are back into Florida mode. One of my fears has come to pass. The bakery is now so well-known and popular, it is not as much fun to hang out any more. I usually do the puzzle page for an hour, now it is full of new customers, some of whom sit in my chair.
           If I didn’t say, my decision to bolt up to Memphis was on my last dollar. And now I’m feeling it. For the first time in decades, I’m broke three days before payday. That hasn’t happened since I quit working for a paycheck. Too bad a lot of other people are afraid to try it (quitting work and struggling to get ahead--because you NEVER will). The reason quitting works is you become more conscious about not using credit. I learned long ago the hardest workers are the ones most up to neck in debt.
           Microsoft and Google. The two worst parasites on the computer world. These companies did not rise to dominance because they were good. Microsoft got big because Bill Gate’s parents sold his third-rate operating system (which he stole) to IBM. Google succeeded because they were so bad nobody would buy their stock. When the dotcom bubble burst in 2000, they were the only search company that didn’t go bankrupt only because they couldn’t. Coercion, luck, and influential relatives are American bed-partners.

           So have you heard the newest scam? Microsoft again. The company is now run by 22 lawyers. Ask yourself, do lawyers think about money the same way as ordinary folk? It turns out the Microsoft policy on lost passwords is thus: they will give you a new password (this is to pretend they don’t know your old one—and they do) but you must agree to let them “repair” your computer for the next, I think three years. For a price tag of $599.
           Where this hurts is e-mail accounts, where people tend to forget that e-mail is not on your computer, but on the server of the e-mail company. There is nothing you can do to your computer to recover a password that is on somebody else’s computer. Does Microsoft know they have a bastard-rat mentality? Of course, they know the average computer these days is not worth $599.
           You’ll probably find some of the less spectacular photos of the Trek Across America as time passes, but they sure serve the purpose of stopping the suggestions that I fake these trips. Here is the command console of the Honda, as I see it some ten hours per day at times.

           Yes, the odometer says 70,000 miles of which I’ve put around 20,000. The GPS is mounted on an ordinary bicycle rear view mirror with zap straps. The odometer reading is off, since the speedometer cable works itself loose randomly. For all I know, this bike has twice that much on it. Then again, back in 1978, Honda had a vested interested in building quality which they lost somewhat to become the mediocre producer they are today.
           Last, here is another example of that once uncommon sight—a deserted freeway. It was not just the open prairies, but even this beautiful wooded mountain pass in middle Oregon. While it is pleasant to find a good path without semi trucks, it is unnerving to be alone on these roads, which even off season should have occasional traffic.
           Thanksgiving plans. I’ll likely stay home, but not with the attitude that bachelors have no choice. I’ve been invited several places. If I go out, it will be to the club (Jimbos, which some people I know don’t like because there are no old prostitutes hanging out there). Other places project that element of pity for singles which is not present in my life. I don’t have a gal or family, but that hardly means I need sympathy on National Holidays.
           Forget the sympathy, bring me a huge plate of leftovers.

           [Author’s note: it is illegal to tow anything on a trailer hitch faster than 45 mph in the State of California.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++