Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 17, 2015

September 17, 2015

Yesteryear
Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 17, 2014, an Admiralty barometer.
Five years ago today: September 17, 2010, Los Angeles, 1991.
Six years ago today: September 17, 2009, fake stitching . . .

MORNING, NOON, and NIGHT
          It’s one shot today. You see, it rained for 42 hours straight, although there may have been a few letups at night. The flood warnings only arrive after the water is too deep to drive through. My primary transportation is a scooter, so I stayed put. It was a little hairy for a bit when the water came up even with my patio floor, since my land is four inches higher than all around. And as usual, the first thing to go was Internet service. The entire subdivision is out still out as of writing.
So don’t wait around and besides other than historical precedent, there is no rule says I have to write every day. This ain’t Dear Abby. Who, by the way, brings new definitions to the word “strange”. Like when she advised one lady to wait until after the wedding ceremony to mention she had been screwing the guy’s brother for years. That way, if he gets angry, it’ll cost him.
          How slow does rain make things? How about this picture? The new sink at the clubhouse makes top story of the day. There is no drainpipe but that’s the kind of detail that Agt. M likes to worry about later. That’s it, the big event of the day, and that was late afternoon during a lull in the rain.
That was lucky for me as I was running out of fresh food over here. That, and I’m coming down with a summer cold. Hey, at least it is not the flu and some don’t know the difference. Maybe that could be the trivia today. The “common cold” is actually around 200 constantly mutating viruses, each of which you can catch only once. Then you’re immune. That’s why you got an average of 8 colds a year when young, tapering off to around 2 per year after age 50. But those 2 are generally milder.
          However, the reason I know it is just a cold is temperature. I’m at 100F and flu is always 103F or more. There, all you need to know to self-diagnose. Still, any temperature is uncomfortable in hot weather and I had to sleep directly under the air conditioner. That’s the daily excitement until we see some sunshine again.
The rainy time was used to backup all relative files, take inventory, and catch up on my escape literature. And write letters, paint some panels, and devote some deep thinking to the potential of that memory chip from last day. Time rarely gets wasted here but I think if I had a television, I might have watched it some. My only real enemy is boredom. But I was getting worried when I ran out of all the tea and coffee left in the house. Can’t live without the essentials. That’s when I heard the rain on the roof stop just long enough to make a run to El Presidente.
          And while I’m there, I stop for restaurant coffee, where the shop had run out of quarters. Fortunately for many, I’m usually prepared for such things and I let them buy my emergency supply. Which also means free coffee. Call me names, but I do think food tastes better when it is free.
          The place was also out of everything but toast, so I had that. Then the rain started again and stranded me there for nearly an hour. The overhead was on and there was some kind of debate going on. I can’t much follow Mexican Spanish, but I could see most of the show was plastic con-men trying to get the better of the Trump. Fools they be.
          Then that Carly lady came on saying in English that “all the women in America” heard the comment about her face. What a cheap shot at those votes, ma’am. He implied you were ugly, you are, so get over it. You and the rest, the best you can do is take turns bashing the guy. When he gets to the top, he’s going to remember each and every one of you people’s names. All of you party-liner five percenters are pathetic.
          If I were you, I’d start thinking maybe about some damage control?

          During the backup procedure, I found some pictures from 1995. That is, some digitally scanned photos, since I did not really convert away from film until ten years after that. Those were the days, mostly me and various girlfriends on vacation (see sample photo y’day). Sigh, I’d give anything to know women like them again. Um, guys, that is a considerably different thing to say than what you heard, which is like I’d never met good women in my life. Wrong, I never said that. Only that I’ve never met anything that nice in the state of Florida. Nothing but broke, divorced, cranky gold-diggers. And old. Don’t forget old.
          But most of them could cook, grant ‘em that. I know the way to a gal’s heart because I actually like to peel potatoes. By the sack-full. I’ll even say chicks dig a man who will peel spuds, in case anybody out there is dumb enough to try it. Actually, they like the company, but I’ll stick with my cover story about them taters. Did I ever tell you about the little red-head Norwegian gal whose tubers I really dug?
          Oh joy, here comes the rain again. Fine, I’m stocked up. I’ve got plenty of emergency food, but it is chosen for shelf-life, not flavor or variety. I even scarfed a tray of that pseudo-food Raimen noodles at noontime. Good thing I cannot taste or smell a thing. Actually let me explain my view of those noodles.
They are survival rations only. I keep two weeks supply, sealed in a Homer. They are 580 calories per package, which will keep you going for a day if it comes to that. They are faster to make than rice although I don’t recommend artificially flavored anything for long-term consumption. I tend to add real ingredients, like chopped veggies. Especially chopped greens, although today I ate my green onions raw (with salt) hoping I could taste something. No luck. Just symptoms.

          [Author’s note: I do not as a rule take “cold medicines” and I stay home a lot when contagious. I rarely have even decongestants around the place. And I’ve read several sources indicating these drugs are increasingly associated with central nervous system irregularities. That says to me, “For emergency use only.”
          I don’t advocate taking drugs that are not curative but I make an exception for painkillers. Cold meds are thus pretty low on my list. Especially when taken for influenza, which remains infectious for several days after you naturally appear to be recovered. Mind you, there is nothing in what I say to take away from what many call “herbal remedies”. That’s only if you kind of pick or grow them yourself, I don’t advocate any factory herbs that arrive in $35 bottles.
          And I don’t say herbs as a substitute for anything else you should be doing, because I’m not a doctor. But I am personally convinced of the value of herbal teas, with usually five types in the cupboard at any given time. No favorites, I like them all. You know what I’ve found is a better than average source of information on these matters? The almanacs, and I mean the annual ones. The monthly versions are whipped out to fast for any real research.]


          The Almanac says today is “Citizenship Day”. Not the hell in Hungary, it ain’t.


ADDENDUM
          A word to the wise. I moused over a Google icon, being far to intelligent to actually click on anything Google, and instantly set off my system alarm. Four times. Usually a virus download is only triggered by a user command, like a mouse click. I knew that would eventually change to the much more insidious mouse-over, and that it would likely be Google. I can’t say for sure and there may be other causes, but until further notice, I’m deleting every Google icon I find. They are uninvited.


Last Laugh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++