Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, July 11, 2016

July 11, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 11, 2015, as a great leader.
Five years ago today: July 11, 2011, a generic day.
Nine years ago today: July 11, 2007, what was I drinking?
Random years ago today: July 11, 2005, “Up Your Anchor”.

MORNING
           Despite my mood today, plenty got done. Most important is arrangements for that termite tent. That should be next week and I can only hope that thousand dollars takes care of the flea bite problem. This photo is representative, it is not my house. In fact, I hope to be hundreds of miles away before any of this goes on. That’s how sensitive I am to fumes. Just not as sensitive as some people are to insect bites. The entire arrangement has been made by telephone.
           Stay away from me, I’m ready to bite off a few heads. Once again, I’m in that situation where everyone was an expert until you needed some hard information. Then they scatter. It turns out unless you have a close family member in the field, there is nothing in this life above an elementary level that you won’t have to learn yourself. Then people wonder why, when I learn have to go it alone, I have no inclination to help them when it’s their turn. Ah, you say, isn’t that just karma?
           I suppose karma it would be, but you’ll have to wait on confirmation until I meet another human that ever accomplished anything worthwhile on their own. They’re out there, but I’ve never met any. So there, how do you like my attitude so far today? Then maybe I’m off balance because all my music is up in Lakeland. I don’t even have a radio left here. That could do it. And now all the company comes over when I only have one chair left in the house.

Wiki picture of the day.
10,000 galaxies. (September, 2003)

NOON
           I’d like to make some fiery comments on political issues, but I know so little about the facts that I’m in danger of being mistaken for a Liberal. That’s a joke, son. Face it, I’ve tried to learn a bit and given up. I’m the guy who this time last year could not tell you who the Vice-President is. Because it’s not this year and I still don’t know. Kerry? And I only learned who Ann Coulter was in 2012. There’s every chance I read articles by dozens of people, but their names matter nothing to me. If they supply facts to support their position, that’s good enough. I don’t need their name.


           Now, have you ever noticed it is very difficult to hear what Ann Coulter has to say? There is always some Libtard talking over her the instant she makes a valid point. If I’m not politically inclined, why am I listening to Ann Coulter? That’s easy, she is a highly educated speaker and often brings up viewpoints based on really deep research. Most of the time, her opponents don’t do that. That also makes it easy to determine who I would support.
           Ann, it’s always a laugh when you make a buffoon out of that racist Geraldo Rivera. He hates white people so bad for the usual reason—because he isn’t one. He has to yell over top of you because he’s terrified how right you are and how white you are. His most recent claim is that “Mexicans” put one hundred billion per year into Social Security using fake numbers and they’ll never get that money back. Seriously, he did say “one hundred billion dollars”. What planet is he living on?
           For a start, they are criminals committing an illegal act, so why should they get anything back? They are costing Americans those jobs and don’t hand us that crap that Americans won’t do the job. Get rid of the excess supply and demand will drive the wages up to where they will do it. Rivera even tries the cheap shot that while Ann must do her research behind a computer, he’s visited “those neighborhoods”. Yeah, he’s driven through them. And he is in complete denial that any illegals are on welfare.
           And how about Hillary's newest cheap shot. That Trump will send squads door-to-door to "break up families". No, he will start by reviewing all Latinos on welfare, one by one. If they can't produce the immigration documents, out they go. At that point, it is their decision, not Trump's, if they want to "break up families". My position is simple. Out they go, family or not. They knew the rules when they cheated.

           I’ve completed a review of the past few months since this new house came on-line which shows that I have been neglecting my own further education. I can explain part of that just because I’m old enough that short or easy topics, no matter how new, don’t interest me. I have to launch into it full bore and some of these studies can eclipse most everything else for months. And right now I just don’t have time. Classic example, celestial navigation. When the house came along, I don’t have long uninterrupted periods to take on anything new.
           There’s also the contributing factor that all too often what I took to be a grand or worthwhile project turns out to be disappointing. I don’t exactly run back home and announce that I’ve dropped the idea and before you know it, I appear to be sitting back. Heck no, I like learning difficult things—but they have to have some useful qualities to hold my attention. Hence, I’ll take a stab at learning Mandarin or chess, but these fall out of favor just as quickly. And the new house is likely to extend this period for many more months.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++

           Arturas Zuokas: Peace, 2011. Art is the Lithuanian mayor who ran over an illegally parked luxury car with an armored personnel carrier. Parking is banned in downtown Vilnius. Question—where did Art park the armored personnel carrier?
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           And so what if I don’t take on anything new. I am already well-educated in a number of fields, and one of them is cost management accounting. Last weekend I hauled out my graduate year textbook to look up some formulas for calculating the amount of reserve cash needed to operate the new property. Turns out I kept my old homework binder. I was amazed to review the amount of work I’d done on that one course. My hand-writing is small and I still found 676 pages of calculations on activity based costing, economic order quantities, and cost allocation. That’s three of a dozen major topics in that 32-week long course.
           That’s why I know to the penny what the new place costed, is costing, and is going to cost. That stream of payments must be prepared in advance. Nobody around here just swipes a credit card and worries about prices later. I know the subfloor in that new bedroom will cost $134.695. When you see a dollar with three decimal points, that’s your tip-off somebody is conducting cost management. Without going into detail, I will just tell you that cost management accounting is a vastly more complex and difficult course than becoming an ordinary CPA accountant. (And yes, I did say, "costed". It made the sentence flow better, which is more important than perfect grammar.)

           In fact, there are a lot of inside jokes about how CPAs run for the hills when it comes to cost management. They want you to manage it as best you can, and all they do is record the results. Trust me, no such shortcuts are being taken on my new place. The full impact of my training and management skills are now totally focused on this cottage. Of all the things that went wrong in the past seven years, none of it was wrong with my share of the finances. I paid every bill I ever said I would. On time.
           As for the picture of the hand-written letter, that’s not my writing. It’s just a sample of another guy who writes small. I’ve often thought that if I ever had to face one of my critics, all I would do is haul out a few hundred pages of my own writing from twenty years ago and dare them to compare. That’s one thing all my critics have in common. Not one of them has written a damn worthwhile thing since the day they got out of school. Not one of them.
           The letter above was written by Ben Franklin. Except for my critics, you all probably suspected something like that.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++