Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 28, 2017

January 28, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 28, 2016, how to fake an apology.
Five years ago today: January 28, 2012, second-rate audience.
Nine years ago today: January 28, 2008, generic editorial, ho-hum.
Random years ago today: January 28, 2011, Player’s Filter, $10 a pack.

           How do you like my new oscillating tool? It’s from Wal*Mart and costs a few bucks more than Harbor Freight. But I’m not a war with Wal*Mart. For the extra money, this tool is variable speed and came with a selection of blades and a triangular sanding attachment, all visible here. It seems to be a versatile tool, but the weight you will find tiring. It’s a hefty implement. Agt. R says not to strip the entire house, just the parts that are flaking. He made the point about the mess that stripping makes on the ground, but I’ve never minded cleaning all that up.
           Don’t expect much work today, the weather is really biting. I stayed home and watched the movie “Munich”, very loosely based on the Olympic attacks by the Black September organization. It seems there were many departures from the reports I read about execution style killings. This movie portrays a rookie bomb maker who demolishes a lot of innocent bystanders.
           It is a weird movie that pushes some hidden agendas that I would say are red herrings pushed by the various secret services. It propagates a lot of how these covert outfits would like themselves to be portrayed when in fact, they are essentially professional blackmailers. There are few Americans who doubt we are funding dictators and terrorists but the movie takes pains to underscore the Israelis do no such thing. It’s an okay version, but buy it second-hand like I did. It was mostly filmed in the dark. The assassins ask the victims they meet fact to face, “Do you know why we are here?” What is this, twenty questions?

           Another weather-induced day off, I grabbed the local liberal press to catch up on my anti-Trump rhetoric. What’s this, some “refugees” are stalled at the airport by Trumps order to keep out Iranians? Gee, I guess 18 months notice it was coming is never enough for some people. However, I’ll bet it was liberal leaning individuals at the airports that didn’t process the ones already in transit. The press praises Mexico for exhorting their populace to buy local goods, showing that to liberals, it isn’t racist when other countries do it.
           But the one I like, the one you really gotta love is the Mexican president threatening to stop checking US-bound cargo trucks for drugs and to stop Central Americans transiting Mexico for the border. Ha, the Federales have been doing such a fine job of it that their performance is legendary, at least in the sense that people everywhere talk about the efficiency of the Mexican authorities. Mark my words, the US is paying the Mexicans to do it anyway. I mean, who is this Mexican president trying to kid? The damn place is so corrupt he should have kept his trap shut. Now the whole thing is going to blow up in his face.

Picture of the day.
Clydesdales.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Did you get that quip that Germany is going to change its law making it illegal to call down the heads of foreign states? That ugly Merkel did it because Trump pointed out the damage she’s done to Europe. But she’s also on the dim-witted side. That one is going to come back and chew her nose off.
           I tried to watch the DVD “Journey to the Center of the Earth” remake with that non-actor Brendan Fraser, but I could not take my eyes off Anita Briem. I should have moved to Iceland when I had the chance (when I was 17, but that’s another tale from the trailer court).

Total at time of posting: $20,026,746,758,698.20
national debt

           This day got me behind and I didn’t like that. I could have worked in the shed, but I haven’t had a nice stretch to pour that concrete. Walking around shifts the floor tiles, so I didn’t go in there today. If I’d had some extra propane canisters, maybe, but right now all I have is my survival kit. Agt. R had some rats chew through, what was it he said? I’ll ask next time, but I was lucky the rats didn’t even get through my Homer bucket. I must have had American rats, too lazy to do any hard work.
           Which reminds me, that’s the use I found for that extra ammo can. No way the critters are chewing through that and it holds just enough powdered and canned food for one person for a month, but nothing else. No water, no soap, no first aid. That’s all dehydrated food, except for two cans of evaporated milk. I’m not setting up a base camp and it is not hare-brained to suppose Florida will provide enough water for most kinds of survival. I’ve got firewood to boil a bath a day if it comes to that.

           Here’s a photo from the net showing a 30 ton jack like the one I don’t have. The literature says it is being used to shore up the roof of a small factory. If it can do that it should handily raise my floor. Now we start over again trying to buy such a jack. How sad that America has come to the stage where people who have money still can’t get what they want without a credit card. It’s not good enough they steal your money, they want a record of where you spent it, too.
           That damn Tractor Supply really screwed me around. Oh I know there is somebody in that building that could have stepped in and just got that jack happening on December 18, but the system works against showing any initiative. The manageress was one clueless stooge if I ever saw one. Completely powerless, she knows her job is to quote the rulebook. These are the same people who can’t figure out why they never get anything in return. She’s a smelly little bleach-bottle blonde who comes up to here on me. Her management philosophy seems to be to avoid making any difficult decisions and that will keep your record clean.
           Finally, I got a clear picture of that dead vine hanging in the front yard. Help me think of something novel and artistic I can do instead of cutting it down. This is the dangling end, the whole vine is a good 45 feet long. The challenge was that is swayed in the wind, preventing a good static shot, until, as you see, I went outside and swung the camera along with the vine, blurring the background.

           “Band of Brothers”, the book. It’s amusing for a perspective on war as a business operation. It fits what I remember of the movie, which otherwise I would barely recall. The dramatic scene of each chapter is carefully portrayed. The German galloping on the horse and the kid who shoots himself with the Luger. The book is far better at getting the message across that the Americans were not liberators, it was not their war and they did not belong there.
           The Germans had no quarrel with America, but resented the fact the Ameicans had been propping up the British in a war-like fashion since day one. America had been drawn into the war by specific political and banking maneuvers, both sides of the same coin. Without intending so, the book compliments the quality of the average German soldier, when in fact, the Americans were facing only a fraction of Germany’s second and third rate units most of the time. The book talks of “combat patrols” that only serve to clue us in how thinly manned the German lines were.
           Did you know I own five purses? Nice, fashionable leather purses. They don’t match any of my outfits because they are used to hold my tools. Like that oscillating tool this morning. The purse has a handy carry strap and nice little pockets for all the blades. There is even a zipper compartment to prevent the small bolts and Allen wrench from getting lost. I buy only the finest leather, and in a sense, I guess it does go with one of my outfits—my work clothes.

One-Liner of the Day:
“A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight
live longer than the men who mention it. .”

           She was not quite warm enough when I painted the second undercoat. The temp sensors both read over 64°F for several hours, but the wood itself must not have warmed to that range. Just above my thumb you can see the difference in how the paint dried in the cold. Both coats are fully dried. You can easily see the paint brush flashmark at the point where I started and finished applying the second coat to this section.
           This is just the undercoat on a door I fear I made from lumber too thin. I would of course be more careful in applying the finishing coat. The door is slightly warping on its own, prompting me to consider adding a second piece of trim to bolster it back into flat. This photo also shows how the wood joint did not pinch tight with the clamps, which is due to my cutting the kick panel stiles without a jig. It’s one of those mistakes I’d never make twice.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++