Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 16, 2017, at the science museum.
Five years ago today: June 16, 2013, WIP Stand by.
Nine years ago today: June 16, 2009, eventually, I did go cross-country.
Random years ago today: June 16, 2015, my first "lead break"

           America is a shadow of what it used to be or what it should have been by now. It is now the land of the small scale rip-off. The practioneers don’t call it that, they call it “business”. Millennials have “businesses” like cell phone plans, telemarketing, and tattoo parlors. For my overseas readers, here’s an example of the typical low-level chicanery that goes on, and though it seems trivial, you cannot imagine how disgusting it becomes when applied on a national scale. These are chocolate bars. The law requires that the calories per serving be listed along with the ingredients. Look closely at the packaging.
           Americans are fat. The saddest thing to see is large groups of teenage girls who are already fat. When I grew up, there was only one fat girl in the whole school district. The calorie content on chocolate bars is largely meant as a warning. So what do they do? They carefully design the packaging so that the seal is a flap that hides the calorie number. Like I said, small-scale. Things like this seem to be the upper limits of their imagination.
           Shown here, I am lifting up one corner so you can see this bar of chocolate contains 220 calories, more than 10% of your daily needs. You have to turn the bar over, and the flap is attached at the ends so it takes some skill to pry it up for a look. I doubt if one person in a thousand ever bothers.

           There are no good radio stations on weekends. The few that get picked up are talk radio, heavy on the religion. I believe I told you how the government gives free money to any Cuban who wants to buy an existing radio station, so they have gradually taken over the entire spectrum. All playing the same song, too. Anyhow, I found one station that had an Internet doctor going on about people problems. To me, most emotional disorders fall into two broad categories. One is the people who think the problem is all themselves, and the other is people who think the problem is everybody else. Neat, huh? I should get me a radio show.
           Anyhow, the day went fast because I spent so much time cussing out that stupid doctor. He was on about suicide and what we can do about the problem. How we have to address the issue before it gets worse, and we should develop ways to detect the victims in advance. And I’m like, “Whaddaya MEAN ‘we’?” I’m what you might call an emotional isolationist. You know, like I think the USA should be politically isolationist and focus only on protecting itself. Well, I don’t think other people’s predictable and/or self-inflicted problems are my responsibility.

           So that radio jockey had me in a lively fit of infuriation that made the work light. I began painting, so things are nearing the final stage. One thing I cannot do is fit drywall corner bead. It is bent more than 90° so when I get one side flat, the other pops away from the wall. I know there is some trick to it, but it isn’t in any of my books. Screwing it doesn’t work, it just makes it more crooked. And this is summertime, when it takes up to three days for the mud to dry.
           Anyway, here is a better picture of the hot dog cart with the grill attached. We changed all the hoses to quick connects. The grill was missing, meaning the grill was used more than the cart. It seems fairly heavy duty.
           All that robot experience is helping with the cart already. I found that LED strip lighting and there is enough to outline the entire box, yet draw only milliamps. I've found my box of expensive robot switches and mapped out where to install a tiny hidden control panel on the cart, which has a master cutoff. Music, no problem, I have that spare PA system if it comes to that. I've been reading the guidebooks, and while they can't seem able to directly say it, you should be doing something of entertainment value, something to differentiate your hotdog experience. Who was that old guy who got rich saying he wasn't selling the steaks, he was selling the sizzle?

           [Author's note: it turns out that phrase was not made by a restauranteer. It was created by stockbrokers during the 80s, one wild time on the market. I made and lost a small fortune. Like most people, I rolled what I made over and over until I lost it. Just one more hit, it was gambling, and I don't deny it. However, I really did study the stocks I bought and use the systems and rules in place. And still lost it all. But I'll bet I never lost as much as the next guy. Get it? I'll bet. Ha ha ha.
           But one lesson I did learn from it. Never enter into a deal where if the other party does not perform as promised, that you would suffer. Hence, I'll never get married again.]


Picture of the day.
Out west.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.


           Here is today's mystery object.
           The point being that I noted the hotdog cart was more that a one-man operation. One's not enough, but two is too many. So, diversify. If the cashier is so busy taking in hotdog money he can't do anything else, you've hit a gold mine. But if he isn't moving fast, he has plenty of time to take care of other business. This is the angle I'm working on. Nothing is planned for Sunday, but starting next week, we've scheduled some practice sessions. All the available literature says we'll get better with practice. Tipping us off that serving hotdogs takes more practice than we think
           Now if you come back next day, I’ll tell you what today’s secret mystery object is. C'mon, admit it. You've never seen one of these before. Hint, we literally have buckets of these unique and forgotten objects. Not to mention a case of 1,000,000 toothpicks. One thing for sure, if I’m taking the cash, I won’t just be sitting there. I’ll can have any number of non-food objects for sale. Items like sunglasses, and I’m thinking of displaying things like what you see here. Any guesses? But I’m too busy just now. What time is it? It's hotdog time.

Last Laugh
(GMO eater.)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++