Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 12, 1980

January 12, 1980

TRANSCRIBED:
           Dropped in to see Pat (my sister). She talked to Wes Gregory, “the Wes Gregory”, yes, there is only one and it looks, uh, encouraging. I hope it goes, as it will be seven years ahead of schedule, rather than the present one and a half.
           Ah, it is so very thrilling to come over that last hill and see good old Calgary. Harry and Gary and Jane (gulp!) and Fritz etc. watched movies, I love this place. They’ve demolished the three properties next door. The guys practiced downstairs.

           Sometimes I wonder how I can live anywhere else with such great friends, but then I think, it has to go on. It’s static(?) an awareness to hear about a place and never go there.
           [Author’s note: Wes was a real estate developer, we invested $6,000 with an adventure to stake out a subdivision. Lost it all, and I will never invest in Canada again, since it was lost due to government interference. For some reason, since the blueprints showed a portion of the land left in a natural state, the law said there had to be a “watercourse”. We looked at the cost. We bailed.
           Harry was a rich kid I met one semester I was in university in Calgary. His father had given him a huge nunnery in the south end, five or six stories, with dozens of rooms and bathrooms. At any given time it was unknown how many people lived there. They had a recording studio in the basement. Calgary isn’t that impressive, but it was the first city I ever was truly in love (Judy M.) and the last city before hitting the Montana border.]