Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 9, 1980

January 9, 1980

TRANSCRIBED:
           Without surprise, things were not all in my favor in court today. Davies was the judge, I’ll remember him. Hey, I had to try, didn’t I? It was a strange place, tho—they can charge you with standing up for your rights. Brian Furries’ wife, most unexpectedly, took off on him. Bill and I got shnorked with some people from Halliburton. Saw a simian drink 8 tequila puffs, poor soul.
           [Author’s note: this cryptic style was common when I was hand-writing the journal. I had sued a former employer, and the “strange place” means Canada. I learned that in civil cases like this, a Canadian judge does not rule who is right or wrong, but tries to please both parties. I was expecting them to settle out of court, but they obviously knew this judge was terrified of taking a stand just because I was in the right. In a real court, I would have got at least an $8,000 award plus damages.
           The earlier summer, most of us had worked for Halliburton, which ranges all over the west, both Canada and USA. Bill Tronnes was a guy from my scout troupe who I re-met at that job years later.]