Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 21, 1984

June 21, 1984


           My trip to California. 4:01 PM Thursday June 21/84. I am off work. I dropped Memphis off at Lizbeths’s, where friendly Memphis gets attacked by her ugly parrot. The odometer stands at 124,342 miles. There is a slight heating problem. I got as far as Tukwila and turned in.
           Then I had breakfast at Denny’s. After all, they did let me crash in their parking lot. The long day was catching up on me, I could see the sleeping bag in the back seat. Consequently, was I gonna hunt for a $35 room? There’s advantages, you know, to being 5’6”.

Author’s note 2014-10-14: my documentation of trip costs goes back many decades. Here is a list of the trip and gasoline costs on this trip. Compare prices. Also, the more inquisitive can correlate a lot of the details shown here to events last year. Like where did I stop in Bakersfield for beers at $1.25 each, which was damn expensive back then. And get that 1,289 miles for a total cost of $149.09. Only $65.85 in gas, but yes, the old Maverick was burning oil. I've included two photos here, easy-to-read spreadsheet, and a scan of the original hand-written tab. You will rarely ever again find a blog author providing much better proof of original work.