Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, November 16, 1984

November 16, 1984

           Day 39. Here's a menu item. Miami Hotel, Soi 13, Sukhumvit, Bangkok. “Fried eggs with streaky bacon.” Or how about the house rules? Identical to the west except the word “not” is crossed out on item 8. “Guests are requested not to entertain females in their room.”
           [Author's note: that's hard to follow what it means is the guests are requested to entertain females in the room but they couldn't find a local sign that said that so they ordered American signs and crossed out the word “not”. It means that is the only place you are supposed to entertain females, not anywhere else in the hotel.] Another favorite, “daily night special.”
           It's easier to get around now, when you realize the downtown is not that big. They never stop trying overcharging. The darker you've tanned the less they persist. That Indian Embassy. They want to see ID before they’ll return your passport, a no-brainer. It is really a headache compared to Phuket, I consider Bangkok just a stopover now.
           I had a five hour wait at the airport. I re-met that group of Australians from Loy Kratong. And at last I saw a white female who look half decent. They are hen’s teeth around here. This was a dynamite body, reminds me of Kim Berlin. There was a difference. This broad really had to, where Kim looked fantastic anywhere, in anything, even in my clothes. I got into a magazine and came out hearing myself aged for the flight.
           [Author's note: I recall well the situation. When you travel extensively overseas you begin to miss white women because they're so rare. This quickly wears off when you return.]
           I arrived in Delhi at 2 a.m. It was not the time to shop around and I got soaked 165 rupees ($15) for a so-so hotel room. I got a tour ticket for Agra first thing in the morning.