Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, March 14, 1997

March 14, 1997


March 14, 1997 Friday

           [Author’s note: this is a transcript of the hand-written original.]

           Left Sedro Wooley at 5:30PM. Car running well but has small problems, eg. Cruise control. Gas up in Bellingham and drove straight to Castle Rock. We (Marion & I) talked about life and lessons, arrived in Castle Rock around 10:00PM.
           Nothing open late but a tiny lounge. With a full rock group and major road gear taking up 1/3 of the room. And some local biker wannabes.

           [Author's note: here is a photo of downtown Sedro Woolley, not much changed since the war. It is really a merger of two towns and the layout of the business areas reflect this. Crime and ethnics were virtually unknown in this part of the nation until the late 90’s. I almost bought a house there for $32,000. Four bedroom, two bath, on an acre. Almost. I do not know when this photo was taken as digital photos were difficult to find in 1997. But nothing has changed much.

           [Author’s note 2014-10-06: This is taken from random notes I find time to time in my files. These were notes from a winter trip Marion and I took to the Oregon west coast. I spent $183.45, she spent $263.36. Total $446.81. We were gone a week. Of this total, $230.60 was on motels and accommodation. We fed the seals, walked the beaches, stayed in a condo, hit the bookstores, and went out for dinner every night.
           Years later she remembers the trip because she is the only one I would ever fall asleep in my Cadillac while she was driving. Those were the days. That’s the trip she found the original autographed Disney booklet of Snow White or Cinderella. I always confuse the two since they [the books] are not about music.
           We were only ever to take one more such trip before she got married and left the area.]


           [Author’s note 2017: Time goes on. This is the same Marion I visited in Colorado in 2012 and is not top of my mailing list as my longest term steady friend in aquaintence who never fell out of contact. I've known others longer, but if they disappeared for few years without phoning or writing, that's not continuous.]