Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 4, 2001

January 4, 2001


           625
           Helen – web TV.
           Asked Deb.
           I dunno. Everybody else around here is a jackass, it's a given. How come I always have to prove I'm one?

           [Author’s note 2023: Many times I’ve mentioned how I’ve only asked out three women in my life. This note indicates I asked out Deb, the English lady. She said no. That is the only time in my life I’ve been turned down as well. She married a guy who told her he was not sure this was right for him the day after the marriage ceremony.]

           [Author’s note 2024: Now I remember more about this day. These calendar entries are terrible abbreviated. 625 indicates I was on site at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, on a small island a few blocks from downtown Miami. Don't bother visiting Miami unless you are a fan of pawn shops, tattoo parlors, afternoon drunks, and bodegas. However, asking out Debs indicates after work I went over th Churchills, a "sort of English pub" on Miami Blvd, around five blocks from my rental pad. Deb was one of the servers, the place tended to hire Scottish and Irish staff, I believe she was English. I knew she liked me but there was something about her that caused me to hesitate. But after a month, I let down my guard and asked if she wanted to get together over something.
           She was pretty enough to meet any guy, and sure enough she said no, but indirectly by mentioning she'd met someone. They went to England about a month later and got married. She was back on the job in a while, but I'm hardly the type to ask twice. The incident stands out mainly as the last time in my life I ever asked a woman, but also the only time I was turned down. Even if that isn't exactly what happened. This undated photo shows the pub as I remember it. That's where I first ran into JZ, figuring he was another local yahoo, but I could tell he was educated.