Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, February 1, 2001

February 2, 2001

           VIC – free agent (I win secretary of the week again)
           Hannibal (probably the movie?)

           [Author’s note 2023: Um, this will provide some chewing material to at least one group out there. I was a secretary and I worked for a temp service. They had a weekly award for top performer, based on a number of factors but mainly feedback from the assignment. All I’m saying is I began receiving that prize the week I arrived until a year later when they changed the rules nobody could win more than once a month. I was the only male in an office of hundreds of females.
           However, this gives out a clear message to those who like to compare job performance and equal pay issues. I did nothing special, I worked just like I always did. I knew none of the other temps, I certainly did not compete with them. I showed up, did my job, and left. Yet after a month, I was so far outperforming my “equals” that it was presumed I would pick up the coupons, prize basket, and bottle of wine with my paycheck on Fridays. And don't think this is something you can poo-poo, this was a prestigious award. A real $75 gift basket with real goodies.]