Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 15, 2001

March 15, 2001


           The gloves are off now, I put [project] 687 on the new system. That was at 9:30 AM. By 3:30 PM a higher-up became aware the PM (project managers) had better info than he did. Ha, even Tom called back to ask if certain things could be done. Certainly, and they can be done in combination.

           Personally, I think they will put the brakes on it, since a lot of the labor breakdowns are not needed at site level. It gives enough information to cause the site managers to begin to seek only the best employees.

           [Author’s note 2016-02-15: the database was already present in a sense. It uses payroll information. All I did normalize the fields and design some super-queries. You know, I based the concept on File Express, one of the oldest flat file databases out there. Here’s a picture of Bryce Canyon.]



           (2023: the second blank placeholder is from 2020 approx. Older Google posts may have a shelf life, however they still display if opened in a new window.

           [Author’s note 2022: some of these older posts, like this one from my desk calendar, get too hard to understand over time. So before I forget, Project 687 was a high-rise tower & restaurant in Miami, I had 35 workers on my watch. I was sent there to clear up their messy records which included paychecks going to the wrong site. I was somewhat surprised to see how little information was computerized in this big company, which years later I went to work for.
           I built a small database that allowed managers to track employee transfers, and as an attachment, what experience that employee had. This was important because some of the work, especially on military bases, required special skills. This was no big challenge, as I mentioned File Express, a database I use back in the 1980s. I would use it today because it is unhackable on-line. The first real use of my new database was to catch a couple illegal aliens with consecutive social security numbers. Sorry, they do not belong here taking jobs away from Americans.]