Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 23, 2002

November 23, 2002

           Don't bother shopping early in Miami, everybody else is the same idea. I got the remaining Project 21 direct materials, but it was too late the day to get more done. Earlier I’d taken my car in for a new starter and now everything else is acting up. What? American cars don't last 20 years anymore?
           They also dropped my pager off for a new number. Beepermania. Of course, admits no responsibility that was their pager tower that went bankrupt. Each of their thousands of customers are supposed to fight the traffic on Flagler Street, and jockey for the two parking spaces they provide, and make a return trip next week to pick up the new pager. For this they give you a months free service.
           [I'm referring to Home Depot thirty-somethings Southwest 8th, a.k.a. Calle Ocho. It's always busy there, but not explain why their stock is doing so poorly.]
           [El Mago de Ponche, 62nd and Southwest 8th, it's the first place I had car worked on a Miami and so far still the best. My mechanic is Manuel. El Mago de Ponche means “The Magician of Punctures” because it was originally a tire repair shop.]
           [Beepermania at 5744 West Flagler, and I go way back. I responded to their $29.95 ad for a year’s service. They are insufferably ignorant businesspeople. I finally paid close to twice that, including a “deposit in case (I ) didn't renew my service after the year”. Isn't that illegal? Anyway in the past two years they've cut off my paid-up service a month in advance to force me to renew early. There's a note here that they didn't get away with it. I still can't fathom how a cellular tower with mainly fixed income and expenses could possibly go bankrupt. They must have known their cash flow decades in advance, but, this is Miami.]