Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, February 4, 2003

February 4, 2003

           That is me, at around 25, standing outside a power transmission plant in the middle of nowhere. In about a foot of snow. That is my old winter coat, at least I was not wearing a nylon padded jacket with some company logo in the back. Rusty took this picture, it was unknown at that time that this particular job would eventually make him a multi-millionaire.
           Hmmm, up early. And I told Joel [current landlord] either the [new] people who have a dog go, or I go. Simple decision. By noon, I may have found something, an efficiency in Westchester for $425 per month, if I get a phone, by cost will be within $15 a month of my local average since day one.
[I remember, the quiet place I had was lost when the landlord moved in a couple with barking dogs next door. I moved out that following weekend. I have no mercy for people who keep large dogs in a city.]
           I’ll look at it tomorrow—the neat thing is that I responded to a Spanish ad (Claren, Jan. 30 issue, 2003, p. 40, col. 6, Spanish Ed.), expecting to talk to a Spanish person. Turns out we’re both Anglos and whoever Harry is, he wants me in there. He’s even willing to shorten the lease. [It was still too long a lease, and I wisely did not take it.]
Something to ponder. Today I asked Cathy about how they scheduled buying employee t-shirts. They don’t, each site foreman kind of notices when lots of people aren’t wearing them, then calls to see if anything can be done. Who the hell is in charge around here?
           Otherwise a slow day. My guess on the Jumble: delouse, plural, nirvana and coulomb. And beware of Walgreen’s new no-doze cough medicine. I can fall asleep anywhere as long as I am comfortable, and that medicine makes me very comfortable.
           Last, the lotto is $27 million, over the limit, so I’ve fired up the office pool. This limit is a strange calculation of how much the prize must be to make a 30 to 50 persona split still worth the gasoline and time. In Florida, it is $22,960,480, almost identical to the total combinations.
           [To make this clearer, I ran the computerized office pool, also a database. Out west I found that the pools work best when upon a win, each person would get around at least $500,000. Otherwise they would go buy their own ticket. I have lots of slick software I wrote to make sure everybody knew all there was about each pool and draw. Over the long run, we did not do too badly, but never hit the big one.]