Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 17, 2003

November 17, 2003

           A disk crash about this time wiped out several months of matter. From this date to the end of the year, these entries are taken from a small log I kept of things that went wrong. It is not intended to be overly pessimistic, it is simply the only records I have for these days and that was the original purpose. Current pictures are also sparse in those days, I had just gotten a digital camera, so until there is some overall editing kept, I can’t help any duplicate photos.
           Here is a most unusual scan. It is a rare map of a stretch of waterfront on the Orinoco River. Gilbert Anselmo Montez found the map in an abandoned dentist’s office. At this time in around 1995, there had been no maps made of the city in over forty years, because I see that Paseo Orinoco is labeled La Alemeda and that was in 1952.

           [Author’s note – I had taken a non-stop flight from Sea-Tac to Miami earlier in the day. I was still not used to the degenerate systems in Florida and make several veiled comparisons to the substantially better functioning Washington (state) way of doing things.]

           Alaska Airlines, deregulation has hit them hard. The flight crew can’t find that little switch that says “Automatic Cabin Pressure”. It ruined my round trip to Seattle to settle some private affairs. [The cabin pressure kept varying at a nosebleed rate for the entire flight.] Anyway, I don’t have trouble equalizing, [it is that] I can’t stop equalizing after I get off such a flight. Thus, for the next week or so I equalize to everything, even walking up a short flight of stairs, or crossing an overpass.
           Marketing experts listen up: how about inventing a plastic tiny aneroid barometer, say in necklace form. It beeps like crazy and flashes “Excruciating Pain” at the slightest level of discomfort. Far more sensitive than it has to be, it could be distributed at airports free by lawyers (and such). The trip set me back $400.00, but I like to get back west when I can and remind myself most people are like me. For instance, I decided to walk, about 3 miles, over to the new motor vehicle office by Freddie’s, and four people stopped and offered me rides, including two women driving alone. Try that in Florida.
           [It would have taken a week to do what I accomplished in two easy days in Washington.] I am the most patriotic anti-bureaucrat around. I love America, but I hate bureaucrats. It’s appalling that this great country, in so many centuries, has not come up with a better way to run things than a bureaucracy. There is not one in a thousand who understands the revolution was not against the king, but against all the king’s men, and we are reliving the English error in global fashion. I do understand bureacratic logic. [A bureaucrat cannot understand] how in hell is the system supposed to run if they just let everyone alone?

           [Author’s note – I was referring to the situation in England, where the original purpose of the bureaucracy was to get people to prefer the King’s court to the local judges for fair treatment. It took no time at all for those in power to begin to force people to the King’s court, and that is how I view American bureaucrats.]