Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, December 12, 2003

December 12, 2003


           I don’t like Bill Gates. He has capitalized on the Big Lie by acquiring a reputation of being a self-made millionaire by roundabout [repeatedly] denying that it's true. William Henry Gates, III fails, in my opinion, go on TV often enough and stress to people that he is NOT a self-made millionaire. He was born a millionaire, so you damn well better stay in school. So I don't just mean that I dislike his business (because I actually hate Microsoft) but I also personally dislike Bill Gates, even though don't really know him. He presents himself as a role model when in fact he is no such thing.
           (Somebody remind me of who it was that said turning a hundred dollars into two hundred is hard work, but turning one million into two million is inevitable.) Bill is below average academically and probably had to drop out of college. (The rumor is that his parents yanked him out to avoid the embarrassment of being kicked out.) I heard his mother was on the IBM Board of Directors, the first company that chose DOS, an item too often left out of his corporate life story. Is Bill really that rich? Well, they say if he had to pay $1 liability for every time his operating system crashed, he would be broke in less than six months. Call him rich if you want.
           MS wiped out my P81 file again. I will never figure out how MS knows that is my most important file. MS knows to wait until just before I do my backups to suddenly make the file read-only, and cause a system error if I try to copy it. That’s about six times since the file began in 2001. Only that file, and that is what brought on my happy thoughts of Bill Gates this cold winter day in 2003.

           Interesting. The Christmas gift from the office this year was no longer a voucher. It is a credit card with a magnetic strip and is charged for the gift amount. I used mine to buy a microwave for the office so we don’t have to walk all the way downstairs. Kudos to Westinghouse, who package their microwaves with the glass turntable on top, in a Styrofoam case with a hidden notch holding the electrical plug end. So that when you go to lift out the Styrofoam, the plug snags and the glass breaks. A round of applause for Westinghouse!
           The local library was actually quiet today, considering it is in the heart of Hialeah. I browsed through some twenty books, topics like ocean coastlines, Amish waterwheels, paper aircraft wing design, trick wooden toys, types of robot wheel systems, you know, the average stuff of any reasonably curious man. This is in addition to my regular reading.
           This week I finally finished Crighton’s “The Great Train Robbery”. The same Crighton who wrote "Jurassic Park", "The Andromeda Strain", and "Airframe", all of which I've read.) I've been reading this for about a month because I was fascinated by the old English theory that the rich upper classes couldn't become criminals. Breaking the law was a disease or condition of the poor. Trust the English to cook up that kind of notion.
           I love the research he did, but he does not go far enough into it to amuse the modern reader. Without realizing it he kind of describes the evolutionary progression of police departments, and why in the long run police departments can never work right. He describes how the London police quickly became as corrupt as the criminals, but does not point out that America is around 50 years behind England on this one. The process of corruption is still only half completed on this side of the pond.

          [Author's note 2015-12-12: how's this post for an accurate prediction of things to come? The police, corrupt? Who would even think such a thing. They've repeatedly investigated themselves and found no evidence of wrongdoing. Whatsoever.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++