Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, December 9, 2003

December 9, 2003

           The database breakthrough is stalled again. The new server, and I am so glad other people enjoy hardware, is not compatible with Access [the system I use]. There are several issues at play here; one is the reason for the new server. The purchasing database. It was so confusing and ill-planned, with something like 47 different tables and links that nobody, even the creator, could maintain it. Therefore, the Cartesian cross-product alone was swamping the old server. There are two ways to fix this. Normalize the tables or shove the problem off into the future by buying a faster server.
           Not that many people had even heard of normalization when I got here two years ago. But they sure were quick to ‘politicize’ the data. They did not want the purchasing database cleaned up because “so much work had gone into it”. Yeah, well the work was wrong so it don’t count for a minute of real time. Also, during the analysis, they picked up that my database was very normalized. They used our informal discussions to create a situation which made my database dependent on their way of doing things.
           Naturally, I quickly altered my database to bypass that ridiculous little bit of contrived dependence. Then along came the new server. My data is on the new server (I have backups in case of another confrontation), but I can’t develop it without the permissions granted by guess who.
           Thus, there are no more informal discussions, and I have informed the powers of the situation. The people in control have always been more familiar with the company-wide potential of this database than the various departments involved. The motive for not normalizing the problematic purchasing database is, in my opinion, that doing so would reveal now little others knew about the process, or possibly that it would place a critical company area totally under the administration of the newcomer. You must be very honest about your own true motives before claiming to me you have good intentions.
           Later, I see it must have been a fine mood when I wrote that. It helps to remember that when I work for a living I often was affected by work that day. That explains why I don't like working for a living. There is an enduring trickle of advice I can give to anyone who starts a new business these days. Change the way your office works to other computer functions, and don't try to do it the other way around.
[Author’s note: the above computer/work relationship will always find a way to be mentioned in my writings.]