Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 26, 2004

January 26, 2004

           [Author’s note: don’t confuse not knowing how to record from a television with how to work a VCR. I fully admit that I don’t know how to record television shows, nor how to program a VCR to do so.]
           Project. Figure out how to use my VCR to tape movies. Without the manual. The first step is learning to read the TV page in the paper. I’ve never done any such thing before. There are some changes at the workplace I should mention. The major one is that the need/requirement for Activity Based Costing is looming on its own. There were just not enough trained staff around before to consider it. Some may call me slow, but I prefer to be unambiguously asked to change an existing system before I start.
           I’m re-reading “Krushchev Remembers”, actually just the major parts. It always reminds me of two things: the idiocy of politics, and the selective memory of people who were mostly wrong. I kind of wonder how I would be judged by such a philosophy. I put potatoes, dill, bread crusts, and chopped greens together in a pot for supper. Maybe that’s what reminded me of Russians. Except I had meat, just didn’t cook it. The rest I cooked together with asparagus soup and garlic. Quite the treat, and it sounds Russian.
           There was an incident of an Englishman swimming under a Soviet ship. Nobody has satisfied my question of why a modern expert at that time would be the least bit interested in a Russian 1930s copy of a western 1920s cruiser – but the English ‘want’ to know always beats their need to know. Krushchev makes amusing errors, but stands on good ground lambasting the English “Labor” government for their make-believe stand that they represent working people. He was also brave enough to walk out when an Englishman tried to turn one purpose into another. An invitation to dinner is not an agreement to be cross-examined, a very difficult concept for both English and homosexuals. Maybe they deserved each other. He also has an annoying “American” habit. Even if the majority wants something, if it means change, he entertains legalistic arguments. Example, the judge who ruled telemarketers had feelings, too, during 2003. In both cases, the peasants kept on working. Probably because they were too hungry to rally to causes?
           Later. The VCR is totally controlled by the massive remote. The remote has 57 buttons, while only six are on the VCR itself. This may prove easier than figuring out the TV listings, at least for a non-TV person like me. I want to tape movies such as are available. Putting new batteries in the unit, it still does not work. Something complicated is wrong here. Knowing Sony, it can’t be repaired for less than 2/3 the cost of a new unit. Sony, pioneers of ass-hat marketing methods – sell ‘em their own warrantee.