Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, May 1, 2004

May 1, 2004

           JZ was not home; I guessed correctly he was at the Church. So was a lot of the old gang, but they had a long conversation going already when I arrived. There is a new girl working there with absolutely no breasts. John does not like the idea of Fort Lauderdale because it is so far away. I explained the idea was to finish the painting, then we could head up on a Friday and get a motel, make a weekend of chasing white women. He has to fix the broken shingles and putter around for at least another week. We’ve calculated that he made about $570 a week, less than I do. He contacted that lawyer friend of the family again to remind him I am looking to buy a store with living quarters. The only thing available was $79,000 in Opa Locka, a high crime black district where you do not want to be. But something will come up. Meanwhile the plan is to meet back up in Coconut Grove again next weekend.
           Ha! JZ told his [step-mother] about the ladies that told me they would have a good time “if people would only let us alone.” Didn’t I mention that? At the Grand [The Grand Bay Hotel] these two ladies obviously watched me come in and sit down. The one smiled at me, and I saw (not heard) her tell her friend to take a look at me. All the little moves were right, so I went over and asked them how they were doing, and that was their reply. To me, nothing, but to JZ a wonderment that I did not seem to be bothered by such blatant rejection. Come to think of it, this may be the first big example first hand that he sees what I mean. Rejection does not bother me, I’ve been turned down more times than a one way street in front of a Chinese driving school. Those stupid ladies will never know how close they came.
           I see I made a note earlier that I’ve forgotten why. The note is “That there was no need to barter, for British bread properly would soak up even the last bit of gravy. ” If anyone recognizes it, give me a call. I am reading a war book ["Harms Way", by Basset, not to be confused with a Herman Wouk work of similar title or its related John Wayne movie] so that may be it. Hey, I just noticed a quirk I never saw before. (This damn word processor always pairs up double quotation marks. It did not do so on the last time, but put two beginning quotes. I wish I’d saved it, but with true computer savvy, I put another set, which turned out right, and deleted the first set, quickly and automatically. Now it won’t do it again.)
           I sent Marion more of these journals along with questions about her plans. She wrote asking if I ever used other people's material here. The answer is no, I do try to mention when I know the source of anything that is not original, I should be forgiven if I miss a few, but there is no intention to copy anything. To the best of my knowledge, everything here is my own creation, right down to intentional blunders.

Published 2014-05-01. Once again, this was not written for the blog, but to jog my memory. I was at the Quizno's, not at the church. JZ and I were painting his dad's house on the weekends. We always were a team for picking up women and I make several references to that. Yes, at that time, I was considering retirement, but running a small store or something. Remember, back then retirement age seemed so far away. I never did find the source or meaning of that quotation. And yes, that is the same Marion as today. We go back more than twenty years before that.

As for the incident with the two ladies, this was still back in the early days of JZ and I chasing women as a team and he was shocked by my willingness to accept rejection. As a amateur lip-reader, I know those ladies set me up to tell me to get lost.