Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

February 23, 2005


           School was another lesson in how not to learn things. We skimmed over around 80 pages of material, Chapter 16 in the textbook. It was about how to install a network, and while we sort of did look at each feature, we never installed any network. It is like trying to learn to play the piano by memorizing how to read music instead of read the notes. Actually, that is the way I play a lot of Beethoven, so I know what I'm saying here. The picture is a random photo of a walkway to the beach from y'day. Hollywood Beach, Florida.
           We team up with the Tuesday/Thursday class, and what’s this? There are some people in those classes who feel the same way I do – where is the practical part of this expensive course? No, it is not good enough to just drop every menu option and quickly go over what it does. For openers, Microsoft is infamous for not arranging things in a logical fashion in the first place. Yet somehow, in my books, that does not mean it is permissible for a school to offer a course called computer repair if you don’t actually repair computers. Instead we talk about troubleshooting a lot. An awful lot.

           [Author's note 2016-02-23: Learning computers by talking is a farce. Sounds like a farmer vacation, “Going to Disneyland is a hell of a lot of fun to do when you are a kid. And don’t ever forget that I’m the one that told you so.” (This is a standing joke from my childhood when my father used to say things like that whenever we drove past places where other kids were having fun. The incident in particular was one day when I was around six, we drove past a go-kart track.
           That's where the old man made that classic shit-head remark, that go-karting was "a hell of a lot of fun to do when you are a kid." And kept on driving. It was later that same day he said not to forget "he is the one who said so". But the legend was born.)
           Notice that I am also concerned about schools ripping off students on tuition. I did not fall for the "get-a-degree-get-a-job" nonsense, but 100% of the students around me did. Maybe one or two in that classroom had any real aptitude for the work. They were all there dreaming of the money that would never materialize. ]


           Now I am told that all schools do this these days. Then let them all collapse, because cheaping out is not part of the deal. Doing a good job is never expensive and you’ll never go without because the demand is there. Pardon me if I suspect these schools have all conspired to water down their offerings, so that like banks, it really does not matter where you go.
           The Hippie called late. The only repair shop he can find for his amplifier is in Delray Beach. Pardon if I’ve misspelled that name before as two words, Del Ray. It is one word, Delray – unless my sources are also wrong.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++