Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 27, 2005

February 27, 2005


           This is a random picture of JZ crossing a parking lot. I believe this day we were helping his sister move things around. That’s part of his condo complex in the background. You know, he had two parking spaces when he moved in but [foolishly as it transpired] sold one of them for $600. Anyway, back to today.
           Now it is noon, and I got a lot of studying done. This is the newer mode of studying I’ve devised to make some kind of connection between the classes and a real computer. You’ll have to decide if there is a dividend yet. Looking at the Presario, I now know that the reason the audio card does not work is because there is no driver, and that the driver is not easily available. I also cleaned out the front area and set up a computer work table where I can get at the cables and ports more easily. I’ve successfully recorded and mixed two audio tracks on the HP, determined there is a 500 MHz processor but failed to get the system to recognize the SCSI card from the setup menu. It is going into the shop today.

           The maximum time the sound recorder will function is 60 seconds, so I’ll have to find out the way to get around that. One of the purposes of all that gear was to get my recordings off tape. I believe the process is called direct to disk, it uses the HDD as a buffer and burns the CD on the fly. I have to clear my digital voice recorder, so you get some random facts here just because at one time, something interested me enough to record it. [Later, I learned to add bits of trivia more commonly.]

           √ I need the instruction manual for a Casio PCR-260 cash register. That must be for Sonie’s.
           √ There are houses for rent in Ft. Lauderdale that list as 5 bedroom for $8,000 per month. Another 6 bedroom 4.5 bath for $4,300 per month. These are rentals. Wouldn’t somebody with that kind of money just buy the house?
           √ JZ’s home stereo amp is a Denon AVR-610 Precision Audio Surround System. (He later lent it to me and he is NEVER getting it back.)
           √ V45 XXX is the license plate of the guy who calls the towtruck.
           √ 256K of DDRAM average $99 for what look like DIMM chips.
           √ There may be repeated info here. One of the people who sell newspapers on the street medians told me he makes about $40 per double shift. He is on disability and says he only works under the table.

Greetings from 2015. Here is a follow-up on the above list from ten years in the future.:

           A) The cash register was for a college course, which the person failed. She gave me the register and it is still in my shed. I later dismantled it for parts.
           B) I never did get the place I had planned on Las Olas--after the banks stopped foreclosing which froze dropping prices.
           C) John's home stereo sat here unused for three years and is now in the sound room of Agt. M's church up on Dixie.
           D) The guy who calls the tow-truck on everybody, a detestable fellow, now lives directly across the hall from JZ. He's one rat-faced little prick, the one who got the gummy notice slapped on my beautiful Goldwing because JZ and I were a few hours late getting back from Naples.
           E) My newest "old" computer has 16 times as much memory out of the box.
           F) Most counties have now banned selling anything at red lights.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++