Search This Blog
Yesteryear
Tuesday, April 19, 2005
April 19, 2005
April 19, 2005 Tuesday
Whatever else happens today, this might be the main event. There is a British Airways office on Biscayne going out of business. They have 35 computers and 70 monitors to donate, just come and get it. Along with 70 (I think) ‘training desks’ and two servers. Tom said he has the warehouse space and will rent a truck. I think John and I should make a few trips, but I’m not the one with the storefront. I’ll need to find out what an IBM GL300 is, but the guy (Carlos) says they are standalone workstations (as opposed to dumb terminals) and he wants them out of there. The place went under two years ago and this stuff is just gathering dust. I believe these would be around four of five years old, so if my memory is correct, these units should be barely used. Remember also that part of my motive is to establish a reputation as a “safe” place to buy a used computer around here, something nobody else has managed. He (Carlos) wants to delete the drive contents and thinks the monitors are 15” and 17”, making them better than what I have on hand.
Speaking of what I have on hand, there is a plethora of upgrades going on. I have two evaluation copies of the newest operating systems available, and I thought I told you one of the donated Aptivas had a 30 MB hard drive. That is going immediately into the video computer. That 8 MB drive is going into the Compaq (the one you are reading all this from) and the Compaq 1 MB is going into the old Aptiva. The old Aptiva 8 MB is going into the vacant spot on the new Aptiva. Computers may give me trouble, but I have no difficulty setting up complicated adventures. To anyone who figures out this cannot be done unless I, well, take a few shortcuts, I say mind yer own business.