Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 30, 2005

April 30, 2005

           This computer is going into the shop. I need my scanner and that is that. Too months in a top-rated Florida computer school and I can’t even hook up a scanner. (It is a SCSI and all we ever did was talk about it, but that is my point.) I can’t afford to lose the computer on weekends. I jogged half-way around the gold course this morning. Which left me standing in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, folks . . .
           There is a little pond on the east side of the golf course. See the water? See the alligator fence? I checked on the Sunbird ad. Good, they listened to me last time and it is now over by itself with more expensive cars around it. I just put on the coffee and Glenn called, he slept in until 9:02 AM. Maybe I’ll do a double exercise routine today just to set an example here. Then, I am having my morning glass tomato cocktail and I notice it is sweeter than usual. Sure enough, if you read the label closely, sugar has moved up a notch on the ingredient list, ahead of acetic acid (vinegar). Time to find another brand. Why do these people put sugar in veggie juice anyway?

           I’m well into the networking book, and I think I could hook up a basic system myself. It is really the cables that are the hard work. Give me a drill and a keyhole saw and even that won’t slow me down much. They make a big deal about running the cables through the walls and attic but I’d only do that if there was no other choice. They are correct about the amount of administration involved, and the fact that it is not a high tech job. You just have to be super organized. Back in my phone company days, they had us attend all types of networking courses without ever telling us why. Some of this may be coming back to me, although I assure you it is not from any practical use on the job. Now I ask myself, am I about to take another course in networking where we do not actually touch any cables or tools?
           Glenn and I stopped by at ABC. Thom was not there, but I heard that good-looking clerk speaking a language I had never heard. I guess she just looked Spanish to me. Turns out she is Serbian. Glenn’s computer is heavily infected again, that weird virus drwtsn32.exe is taking up 85% of his system resources. However, he is the one who insists that computer must be hooked to the internet, so don’t come crying to me. Without expensive protection, your work computer should be isolated from any public network. We walked over to the library in Dania Beach. Again, people here like to walk on the roadways, where I like to cut across open fields. The talk is that they don’t like to get burrs in their socks, where I expect it as a sign of a good hike.

           We saw these guys fixing the propeller on a tobacco boat. As Glenn said, the most useless boat ever made. It has no room to invite your friends over. There is some type of boat show going on, with their own groupies and jargon and prizes. This boat looks like it was probably in the $150,000 range. Some people have far too much money. Take, for instance, this set of stairs in the park. They are not for exercise, and they are bolted permanently in place. Made of painted steel, these are not cheap stairs. I call it the Stairway to Nowhere, and I’ll think of some way to use it in “Not a Cloud in the Sky”.
           I picked up some books for sale, 3 for a dollar. One was by Thoreau, “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience”. Generally, I am in agreement. His statements like, “The government is best which governs not at all” reflect my sentiments closely. He points out that the government does not educate us, or keep us free. The objections against a standing army also argue against a standing government. The jailers and constables serve as machines without free will, and have the same worth as dogs and horses. Legislators and ministers are as likely to serve the devil as to serve God. He points out that the government behaves almost identically to an invading foreign army. I love the passage that he does not quarrel with those far away, but with those close by who do the bidding of those far away. How do you buy a man cheaply? You give him a cheap vote, because voting for what is right is doing nothing for it.

           Another book was a contemporary A+ text, which I am just skimming. It is a find indeed, if kind of late. The writing style is different and far more understandable because the author has plainly gone over it several times to eliminate jargon. I must read this book entirely before I attempt the exam. For example, the first text defines RAM and disk memory. The second text takes the trouble to explain that everything on the disk must first be processed by RAM. Little touches like that do it for me.
           I reconciled my bank statements again, you know, one day I hope for the chance to put the screws to WAMU. Five years ago I wrote an article about the double bank fees for using an ATM. The fact that they don’t have to hire a clerk should be enough of a savings, they don’t have to shaft you coming and going. This is not an issue of right or wrong, the important thing is that I don’t like it. Usually when I don’t like something, it should be looked at more closely and there is news that this item has finally come under federal scrutiny. On a balance of over $1,000 they paid me 27 cents interest [last month]. What a racket! Same with this distinction between savings and checking. Most people don’t know the difference at user level, and don’t care. Their concept of balance is whatever they can get when they run short. Hell, just watch some of them in action on a Sunday morning trying to get their last $20 out of the thing. Presumably for breakfast.

           Later. I must compliment the new text “Enhanced A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC”, Enhanced Third Edition, by Jean Andrews, Ph.D. Definitely top-notch workmanship. It is so clearly written it reminded me of facts I have forgotten [subconsciously] since 1971. I’ve been reading five hours and not one passage has occurred that was not adequately explained. This is a serious fault in texts that are not proofread by a third party. Also, the author must have taught the material he writes, because there are so many natural places where it is obvious he has been asked to stop and explain. A very effective text. Both forward and backward references are used whenever necessary, avoiding that panicky “am I supposed to know that” feeling.
           Later. That was Glenn on the phone, saying he has to record on Friday. That means we won’t be leaving until early Saturday morning. The pagan festival he talked about now charges admission, and I won’t pay to go to anything that resembles religion. It is ungodly to think anyone would, for the very purpose of any religion is to convert you. At least they should make that attempt at their own expense. Glenn is also enthused about some web he visits that has free stuff to give away, and he keeps mentioning computers. So I told him to print out a few dozen of these “free” listings so I can calculate the worth and cost. No, it is not free to travel all the way across town for a computer and he is missing this concept. All he sees is the finished computer that I have fixed up, not realizing that unlike guitar lessons, there is an immediate cash outlay for each unit. That computer for sale at ABC for $125 is only $45 profit to me, less my costs of going over there and charging zero for my labor.
           I suspect he may think of me having a dozen computers for sale every day, and that would require a shop. For some reason, he does not want to print out these listings, saying instead I could look at them when I am over there. Not good, analyzing a business deal is not something I do looking at a computer screen. I would still want to print it, and he seems dead set against that. Probably the cost of the ink, I’d say, but if he wants to talk like it is a good deal, that has to be determined before you get started on driving around and storing inventory.
           x margin-bottom: 0em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em; ‽