Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 5, 2005

April 5, 2005

          That is a 1954 Ford. Parked somewhere up in Ft. Lauderdale, I think.            It is midnight after a full day, the kind I like. In the order it happened, this is the recap. The HP computer is just maddening because not one of the repair techniques learned in school will cause that machine to load Windows 98. I finally wound up taking the parts out and trying them in this machine. For some reason, the original machines will not recognize the CD-ROM and load the operating system. I made a couple of copies on this unit, and I see that I still have to learn more about the copy process. For example, I cannot copy the copy of Windows 98, but obviously somebody can. I have to take it in to school.
           Remember Guy DePastino? He’s the honcho at PC Professor. I had a good talk with him this morning, and he will not be insisting on photocopies of my ID, nor record of any information for that matter. If someone wants to see my documents again, they should come and ask me again, simple as that. I don’t like it when people do it behind my back, because they have something to hide. The Hippie came over and we walked over to the Mall to put up advertising and pay for a few things. I am informed that when you are stopped in your car in the state of Florida, you are under ‘technical arrest’. Don’t say you weren’t warned, all you people who think everything is just fine in this great country. Remember well how you feel the next time you are stopped for a burned out taillight.
           Our tow-truck buddy was in the lot, even The Hippie noticed how furtively he watched when anyone took even a few steps in his direction. Good, I love a paranoid, it makes teaching them a lesson just that much more effective and rewarding. I’m sure more will come of that, not all of it recordable here. [I published the picture and details of the parking lot spy in all the local Laundromats. Hey, you can do the job, I am merely making sure you can’t do it anonymously. He now has to watch his back all day long.]
           The Hippie and I were in Publix, I actually bought a lottery ticket. Call it a hunch. What did I say about inflation coming back, and how we have to make the poor people in this country poor again? Rumor is the real estate bust has hit the Carolinas. The real sign is the price of Carnation evaporated milk. A month ago it was 85 cents. Today it is $1.03. Ouch.
           Today was the last extra class this semester. It is tough getting in there four times a week, plus the barrage of information gets overwhelming. Interestingly, this was the first lecture I’ve enjoyed since we started here. I learned everything and I say that is because this was a ‘proper’ lecture. It was two hours of lecture and two hours of lab. It may not have been designed that way, but since we were hooking up printers, it was taught differently. Far better, in my opinion, others did not think so. We connected three printers and a scanner each, including downloading the drivers from the ‘net, and networking them through our LAN (local area network). This is far more to my liking, because most of what went wrong had to be fixed then and there before the class could continue. It was pretty obvious I was picking it up faster than the rest put together. Amazing how practical experience works.
           Hmm, there is a new class starting across the hall. As usual, if there are any women in any school I attend, they are never in my class – a constant throughout my rather extensive education. There is this little redhead in there. I’m sure it is fake, but she has the body of Jill and the face of Noreen. She smokes, and that is how I get a chance to look her over – all the smokers meet outside during break. Even after all this time, it does not bother me at all to stand next to a smoker, nor am I ever the least bit tempted. By smoking. She is tempting, indeed.
           Last, now that I’ve gotten to know my classmates, the talk is more about jobs and money than before. Money is why everyone is here. Computer repair is not something that attracts people as a hobby. Today a few facts came out. One is that some of the people in the room are repeating this course. At $3,000 a pop I do not have any such option. But what gets me is a lot of these men are in the same boat as me except that they are not getting any government help. I can’t mention names, but some of these men were outright refused educational funds because they were ‘already too educated’. Hmmm, how was that determined?