Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

January 17, 2007


            The G has disappeared and that makes it over a week. That only becomes significant if you read on. First, I spent the morning going over the install and patterns of Internet databases and I’m not pleased with what I found. The steps are simple and that is a compliment but the way they fit together took me lots of study. It just seems to me that if you were to design something for the Internet, you would streamline certain items instead of being a total jerk about it.
           This is a picture of an ice cream chest. Why, what did you think it was? Okay, I'll explain. I couldn't find today's picture folder on my flash drive, so I put a picture of something because of policy. Don't you like ice cream?
          By early afternoon, I was over to the wig shop. Ruth has a new clerk in the mornings, still doing payroll the hard (but understandable) way. Thus, it is the clerk or me on the single computer. Not the ideal situation, for Ruth’s setup is geared to monitoring what people do, not what they know. Thus, I have little freedom to do anything without Ruth’s approval, all of which takes time. Hard to live with time.
           ;Progress is very rapid despite the hindrances which will make things difficult and expensive later. One email to the factory addressed the fact that to display the hairpieces, the factory tag must be removed. The ensuing problem is that the unskilled cannot match the product with the correct tag. Yet, the product number cannot be sewn into each hairpiece because the tags must be ordered 6,000 at a time. Far beyond anything we are likely to order any time soon.

           A brat of a kid [Steve] walked in with some pictures to burn on CD. He was most sold on what he did, but I’m still glad he showed. You see, I tend to be relegated to a computer person because most people cannot fathom someone doing more than one thing well. Thus, when I first proposed a story with the hundreds of autographed photos, it was set aside. This kid, whose enthusiasm was contagious, pointed out the value of the shop walls. I openly thanked him for what amounted to a second opinion about that million-dollar fact just sitting there. If Ruth does not publish (or sell the rights to publish), all those fantastic photos are going to get crated up and put in an attic somewhere. Baby boomers can relate to Ruth and if she is taken out of the equation, those photos are not a hill of beans.

           I got over to Brian’s for practice and again find myself with a dilemma. You see, he has finally “broken through the ice” with the material on which I’ve been coaching him. Where he was spending hours on a given tune, suddenly big chunks of music are now attainable with little effort. We were able to play over six tunes we had not really rehearsed, all by following the ground rules I’ve introduced over the previous month. I considered the G standing in, but I tend to overrate his willingness to play anything except the leading role. And I only considered that because Brian plays these things funny.
           Brian’s tendons are not healing. This is the schwerpunkt, the delimma. Within hours, he will now be able to play so many songs that I will have to again go through the rejection patterns. But if he's got tendonitis, it's all a waste of time. Some of those [tunes that get] vetoes will be his favorites. He must concentrate on the vocals, not guitar. The best discovery tonight is that he may be able to play tambourine once he catches onto the backbeat pattern. Alas, this makes him just another vocalist, mind you it also makes it even harder for him to team up with anyone else (although this is difficult to understand at this point).
           I’ll stick with the plan for a while. He is still making small mistakes that give his performance a rustic appeal, which I can sell. I need a guitarist who will play for free to carry this off. Do I hire or train? Of course, I will try to train first, and that brings to mind JZ. He has never played guitar in his life. This has never stopped me in 42 years. JZ has promised to show up here with [his brother] Joe’s guitar at 7:30 PM this Friday. If JZ ever learns guitar, which he seems to think is too difficult, we'd be a deadly team of lady's choice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++