Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 25, 2007

January 25, 2007


          Here is a relic of the 60s. Remember I mentioned the fallout shelters? By coincidence, this is posted at the entrance of a seniors condo where I went to do a lesson this evening. I would not have given the age of the building a second thought but for this sign. It’s a friend of Fred’s so I gave him an introductory low price. Good thing, because he was so badly hooked up over there that no amount of shop work would ever have got him hooked up.
          Mainly, the difficulty is when totally inexperienced people believe these ISP claims that a first time install is easy. Just follow the directions on the CD, couldn’t be easier. This usually results in them calling in a friend who “knows just everything about computers”. Who proceeds to change the logon name and password but does not write it down. I see a few nods of recognition out there. Sometimes the whiz kid “and he drives a motorcycle, too” does some real damage by further pretending he knows enough to teach them how to use the Internet. In this particular case, the browser was corrupted. I mean, kid, how do you mess with a browser?

          I was over to Howard’s this morning. This was one of my original students and published author. Does anyone remember Joe, the Nigerian Internet cafĂ© owner who got robbed blind? He hooked up Howard’s network but not quite right. The reason Howard called is that strange recent behavior of a CD tray randomly opening and closing. I still don’t know the solution, but now that I’ve seen the problem on another computer, I’ll zero in on the cause. I think it is a new virus, or worse, an MS “update” that is incompatible with the drive. Opening Win XP seemed to trigger it.
          That 1933 tape (Ace of Aces) is truly a mystery. It just will not copy and has now defeated my best efforts. Sure enough, the Sony recorder wasted another three hours of my time – when will I learn that every Sony product has some kind of built-in defect that they intentionally avoided telling you about. This one prevents you from finalizing a DVD if the device doesn’t auto-detect the end of the source tape. Sony will never convince me they did not do that on purpose.
          Then I tried that cheap-ass V-Stream from K-World that has never worked right. I even rode over to Target but they no longer sell blank VHS tapes or small, cheap TVs (the current crop of DVD burners lack a monitor or any way to attach one, another Japanese brainstorm). Roland the neighbor saw me working around the house all morning and nicely offered to help me re-attach the storm shutter that blew off the west picture window.
          That is the window that JZ has promised to help me fix for a couple of months now. No big deal, as I didn’t have a strip of caulk and the right screws. I stopped and picked some up for I made a ton of money in less than six hours work today. I even bought a lottery ticket for this Saturday. Here’s a copy of it, since nothing will ever come of it. Notice the elaborate reverse psychology.

          What good is a journal if I don’t mention sex once in a while? The neighborhood guys are still talking about some new skinny blonde lady around here who works for $10. I don’t trust the accuracy of others on this point, but they are saying she is good-looking. If that is the case, I have certainly not seen her at all. Good-looking and Florida don’t normally belong in the same sentence. If you all behave, I’ll see if I can get a surreptitious photo of this beauty and let you be the judges. (Sorry, in the end, I couldn't find anything good looking in that range.)
          It looks like yet another weekend without playing a gig. I called the G and gave him the update about Brian and me, explaining that the operation was a success but the patient died. I’m curious if he’ll ever say that he told me so. I’m tempted to walk over to this Flannigan’s to check it out. Didn’t I mention that? It is a chain of so-so bars, but there are so many of them with similar names and exteriors that I never memorized which was which. I dislike bars that are really over-priced restaurants that serve beer. I notice that fat people love to hang out at places like that.
          The thing is, several of the locals have mentioned that it is a good place to meet women. I can’t see it. If it is like the others, it has a bar in the center with booths all around the edges and a patio. It is that bar in the center I don’t like. Is it a bar, or is it a restaurant? Since there is no dance floor (hence no band) it is not a bar. Since there is a regular crowd to drink but don’t eat, it is not a restaurant. Either way, I’ve never cared for drinking places that do not have live entertainment. That is just me, I know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++