Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 16, 2007

February 15, 2007


           The event wasWiggles. This is the new little dog about to model for the wigs and hairpieces. On the morning, I walked out the back and there was this French-Canadien guy playing and singing Jambalaya. My Francois is more than rusty, but I hauled out the bass and played with him for an hour. Made me late for work.
          He can’t sing a thing in English. He drops a ton of chords. But he is on key and asked if there were any country bars in the vicinity.
           Of all the things, there has never been any exact accounting for the different sizes of doggie wigs, and the consensus is that it was nigh time to go over this. Outwardly it seems dumb that the sizes were ignored, I assure you I did everything within parameters to keep the hairpieces straight. This is not as stupid an oversight as appears, but rather the addressing of a known problem that nobody wanted to solve earlier.

           This is precisely the type of thing that can happen with new products and territories. The original hairpiece orders spelled out the quantities and prices only, and there was only one size of each. Even the pricing structure from the factory reflects this. For some reason, a man [named Dave] has arrived and wants a complete accounting of expenses to date. Why, if only I’d been in charge of that department, I could have made his life far easier.
           What he is asking for could get expensive, since the part I’ve done was never compatible with such reports. I suspect this may be a case of him waiting until all the costs were incurred before deciding to come up with a pro forma [budget]. If so, that is the oldest trick in the book. “You show me which button to push, and I’ll push it for you.”
           A custom made doggie mannequin has arrived, making displays more consistent. This is the item pursued through channels to avoid having to do any business with that pervasive Ali-baba outfit. They may be okay, but I whereas I don’t mind competition, I don’t like places that go out of their way to make it difficult to find the competition. Nor do I like people who incessantly barrage you with advertising because you made one initial inquiry. Good thing I gave them fake information.

           Don’t you love people who use public records for private gain? There was call from Esperian, the credit people. They were demanding, not asking, for information to “update their database which they maintain on all businesses in America”. (Whether you like it or not.) I informed them that I did not want to be on their database. She was non-plussed. The lady, a seasoned liar, tried to redirect the conversation into me revealing my identity.
           No lady, let’s finish what you started about your command that I tell you information about my business. She tried to blur the issue by stating that all the information she was trying to confirm was already available on public records. (Well, lady, use that then and quit bothering people with your phone.) I asked her who had appointed Esperian the custodian of public records. Instead of answer that, she tried to convince me that "her customers", and therefore she, had a “right to know” who I was. Really? A right, you say. I then informed her that anyone requiring “confirmation of such public information” should be asking me, not Esperian. She hung up. I have immense fun doing that to busybodies. I'll have you know.

           Now don’t you try to do the same when they call. You don’t have the experience to defend yourself against such people. They will make out that you are hiding, or paranoid, anything to pry personal profiling information about you, which they resell at a profit without your knowledge or permission. Most everyone is aware of what happens to credit reports and that any mistakes on those reports are nearly impossible to correct. Public information my eye, Esperian is a credit reporting agency. They are slimey. Like Ali-baba.
           Good thing I capped the day with some excellent music lessons. My two students don’t know it yet, but they have nearly ideal complementary skills. Progress will be rapid because they have been shown (not told, as in regular lessons) from the beginning about the advantages of working with other musical people. It is too early to channelize, but I believe that Loran would make the better bass player and Becky the better lead player. However, for now, both learn rhythm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++