Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, February 19, 2007

February 19, 2007


           Get a load of this handsome model. That is the real thing, a bomber jacket from the last century. It weighs close to ten pounds. They really don’t or can’t make those any more. The hat I think is some London bus driver’s gear. Damian, for some reason, wanted that loud background. This is the type of shot I want for the catablog. On the rack, that jacket brings $40, on the Internet, it brings $60. My cut is $5 but we have this material in tons, not pounds.
           Before another shot, let me tell you about a nasty today. It was undoubtedly an inside job, but some miserable person got hold of one of my client’s web page administrative password. They had help, since nobody who has been around has anything like the skill-set to put this off on their own. They logged onto the web server and deleted the web page. Then, they proceeded to replace it with a message that the page had been shut down for non-payment.

           I’ve never seen this before, but it made sense once it became clear that the web host had not done anything wrong. I was even unaware how to find out which server is hosting your page, but I know all of it can be done with a little practice. For the record, I do not do web pages, that is, I can program the pages and the style sheets, but I have no real idea what is involved in setting up and running a web server. I also know that whoever did that little bit of sabotage could undoubtedly have done a lot worse. It had to be an ex-employee.
           Fixing the propane line spilled over into today and got half the neighbors involved, if only over for a look-see. My propane tank is twice the size of anyone else’s and it is well-known there is usually something interesting (by comparison) going on around my place. Adam’s car got sideswiped. He did not notice it until today. It was red paint which brought a dozen nearby vehicles under suspicion. Until I showed him how to measure the height of the top scar (23 inches) and how this was at least 4 inches over anything that could be made by any of the locals. No, it was a high-axle truck that got him.

           This gave me a chance to point out how between all of us, we’ve lost more than the cost of a good 24 hour security system. I lost my $200 bicycle, for those who may have forgotten about that. The cable TV man threw it in his truck and drove off before I could react. When I called the cable company (Comcast) to complain, they told go to hell. You know all those Internet posts that appeared shortly thereafter explaining to people the real way to steal cable TV and get away with it? Well, I don’t know nothing about that.
           My municipal bond company sent me a tax statement with 100 times the earning stated. This is so typical of the rotten foundation that remains of most American businesses since computerization. Nobody still on staff except the boss has the intellect to check for reasonableness. However, the tendency to operate like banks, with one over-paid manager and everyone else a minimum wage clerk, encourages this brand of error. The boss was out for his three-hour lunch break.
           I really should be reading and studying tonight, but I’m instead getting the popcorn and a good DVD. I think for the heck of it, I’ll go look at time-lapse video recording machines tomorrow, for an excuse to look around BrandsTupid. I really hate that place but they do have great prices and for the most part leave you alone. The G called to tell that the gig for next Saturday is canceled. This was unexpected, usually he does not call with bad news under any circumstances, but he had invited Brian and me over there so it was nice to let us know. This also means that Brian does not get to debut under familiar conditions. The G went to some kind of music festival at the beach, I declined to attend. I’ve never been one who could be entertained by watching other people play music.

           Here’s the second picture promised, look nearby. It is made of Budweiser beer labels. I mean, cloth that has the beer labels printed on it. The matching cap is pure coincidence, it was left at the store by an unrelated party. If you have trouble getting noticed, this should work. The ad copy I’ve written states about this jacket that “no high-school reunion should be without one”.
           Damian reports that some 25 years ago there was a guy who did ads for his shop wearing a bunch of jackets, which he proceeded to take off one-by-one as he plugged his wares. I certainly have no objection to redoing the act. It is kind of funny that Damian cannot grasp that I have never watched TV and may think I’m fooling when I have no idea what he is talking about sometimes.

           The catablog will have around seven simple categories, right there I’ve got eBay beat. At least I understand that “collectables” means a subset of something else. These jpegs are representative of what I’d like to put across. I need a less distracting backdrop. That should be no challenge with the amount of gear around the store. Okay, you talked me into a third photo. This one shows a pair of sunglasses shaped like tiny guitars with the necks crossed. It comes across as wicked eyebrows.
           The jacket has the word “Love” written into the design, white lettering on a blue background. The hat was from the consignment rack. It was a windy day but we had to take the pictures outdoors. Can you see the little guitars in the glasses? Not quite Elton John grade, but so what. This stuff will sell easy in Ft. Lauderdale.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++