Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 23, 2007

February 23, 2007


           I focus on mainly one thing only today, and that is Jane. She showed and had the added bonus of already knowing disappointment from other bands. Good, that means she has no plans to waste time. I get the impression she is going through law school to please somebody else. (Her parents?) Even if so, that is not any of my business,
           She is strong-willed but lacks confidence. This is attributable to youth and I assure you, once she gets the measure of anything, she will be either a leader or a bitch. What’s more, in me she has stumbled across one who puts up with that behavior as long as there is progress. She is a remarkable singer and her guitar needs work. Perfect. It is work I can easily supply.
           Another thing is that she learned a few of the tunes I specified. This makes sense, and I truly appreciate that she bothered, but let me go into it. Even sub-consciously, she wanted to check out anything I could do that might be okay for a single. Sorry, I know better than to do that. – don’t even think I’ll consider a tune you could do better on yourself. Jane is the twelfth musician I’ve contacted since my search began. This is about par, the other eleven were jackasses by and large.

           She strums but requires some basics, which I can teach but a lot will depend on the attitude with which she receives it. Yeah, I know all you guys want to know what she looks like. First, no picture and don’t ask for one yet. She is 5’4” and thirty-ish. She has bright eyes, in fact very bright eyes. A brunette, she tends to be overly-specific about what she wants. She is shy, like I said, and I don’t want any of you tearing this into slivers. She appears unaware of what she has chanced upon here – but nor did I know when I had peaked.
           My bass playing makes guitar players sound good, even lousy guitar players. My ad says so, and Jane stated that had a lot to do with her responding. She has to leave town for a week but I do believe she’ll be back in touch. Why? For openers, you should have seen her face light up like a schoolgirl when we began playing. I watch for that look of disbelief that it is really just the two of us playing. She herself began getting into the (suddenly) catchy beats. Of course, I was quick to point this out.

           [Author's note 2016-01-23: I'll have to read these posts myself, because I have no recollection of Jane. That's a sure sign things went nowhere, but I don't usually outright forget a lady.]

           A new student came in and I have enough extra cash to do something this weekend. The movies, maybe a car trip. I should buy a good used guitar. The landlord at the shop has posted a notice that I have to move the trailer by this weekend. There has got to be room for it around here, so I’ll start looking. I stopped in at Club M and they are still hiring local bands. The G and Club M do not get along, but I feel enough time has passed on that one. Besides, the staff is all new and nobody remembers me. I could not get the price they pay.
           To inject a theme of mystery into my writing, let me tell you about yesterday. I came home and made a pot of coffee. I spent the evening reading the worst book I’ve found in years. “The Redneck Way of Knowledge” by Blanche Boyd. Shows you what happens when boring people get educated. Her family is rich enough that she can still sit around all day smoking dope, which she mentions in every chapter along with drinking. Of course, she absolutely has to keep mentioning that she is a lesbian. No wonder the book only cost 40 cents. And it is self-published.

           The mystery is not the book. It is that I took off my socks and propped my feet up. When I got up this morning, my socks had disappeared. Not anywhere around here. I’ll make it a point to keep you posted on this exciting development. They were black socks, with small deep blue diamond patterns on the legging. I admit, my brother’s socks could crawl away on their own but that is not what happened here. The only clue is that I know exactly where I put them, right beside the step-stool in the Florida room.
           I’ll put in some practice time later today. Does anybody have a Choruser I can borrow? Remind me to ask Fred if he is a member of that wholesale club, since I’ll now likely need a PA in less than two weeks. Some of the tunes on my list do have parts that need at least a resemblance of lead guitar, but for now we’ll just chord over them with the Chorus. Think of it this way, Jane, if it turns out we need a guitarist, I know of at least eleven who are unemployed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++