Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 3, 2006

September 3, 2006

You should see me, soaked to the bone. I got caught in a never-ending rainstorm on the way back from ABC. I opened at 10:00 AM and business was non-existent. Around noon, Dickens showed up and we packed up his truck for a delivery to Miami. I thought about arranging to meet JP over there to retrieve my flash drive but we had a hell of a time finding the place ourselves. Turns out to be a strange address in a city known for maniacal street addresses, some streets have up to six different names.


I’m a little jealous. We delivered this load of retro furniture to Miami One. The 22nd floor apartment was rented by a 25 year old with a 19 year old girlfriend. He was born in Belgrade and moved here when he was 8. His dad opened a business, and his son is now a Duke graduate living in a Miami high-rise with a fox. They were both hungover and it took him a half-hour to answer the door. Again and again, just a little help from daddy made all this possible. A little jealous, yes. I mean, as far as jealousy goes, it might as well be over a free ride in life rather than what they are thinking – I am not jealous of the person that got it. Compare this view [of Biscayne Bay and Island] with what I had when I was 24. Sigh. This kid has never known a hard time and probably never will. On the real scale of things, I mean.
They bought that 1960’s table with the ¾ inch glass top. For that art deco look. While I was upending it to carry it onto the freight elevator for him, I noticed a greenish diffraction pattern looking at the glass on edge. This was top quality in its day. Here is a picture of the effect of looking through nearly five feet of solid glass. The glass is a little off vertical, but that is an apartment building dead center across the bay. Looks like a Fresnel lens. He buys the glass, I deliver it.
On the way home I had to duck under the loading bay of an empty building. These three teenage girls came along around 15 minutes later, soaked to every inch of their perfect skin. As RofR would say, “Wuuuuu-EEEEE!”.


The rain really came down for close to an hour and we got wet even under the shelter. Make the best of it. They ran right out into the flooded street and had a water fight in the pouring rain. Ah, to be a kid again. After waiting over an hour, I chose a letup and biked the last 2.5 miles home. For a total of 10.655 miles today. I made enough to pay the electric bill this month.