Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

February 27, 2007


           Today’s picture was inserted days later. Blogs without pictures are kind of like dodos; even when you’ve never seen one, you’ve seen them all. This is a rack of guitar pedals available. In case your guitar playing kind of sucks, there are thousands of dollars worth of pedals to help you along. I forgot I took this picture because just one such guitar player was about that day.
           Have you ever noticed, there is always one guitar player hanging around the music store pretending he is checking out a guitar? And, I mean he can’t help it, but is impressing all of us in the process? This particular jerk, long grey hair and a sports jacket, waited until somebody else began to play anything, then launched into some obscure blues riff. He did it each time I went to tune a guitar before I bought my Fender, but was disappointed because I had a chromatic tuner.
           The world is divided into two camps, both heavily armed. One has brains, the Mensheviks, and the other has brawn, the Bolsheviks. The lessons of history do not go far enough to explain the difference. You see, brawn is synonymous with stupid. Any departure form this fact is rare and front-page news. Left alone, is there any argument about which is preferable? The stupid, however, have no incentive to leave it alone.
           The stupid possess the gravity of numbers. Look at the Olympics. Is there a category for smart? Look at market surveys. Are any questions weighted by IQ? America has lost the lead permanently by downplaying the seriousness of stupidity. The boomers thought it would last forever; that it would never hit them in their own lifetimes. As long as they bought their offspring college degrees that worked in the past and they could import enough cheap labor to make up the difference, so what?

           The boomers that possess only the mentality to be garbage collectors now have degrees in everything from Engineering to Medicine. Owe this to that peculiar American attitude that lawyers and doctors should be paid a lot of money. Thank Perry Mason and Dr. Kildare, although they could hardly have foreseen their roles combined as a forge for such idiocy. There, I feel much better now.
           Next, I went to the doggie place and ran in cables and cords for the new cubicle. It is around 16 square feet total, but everything is shoe-horned into place, including a small storage shelf. There is just no place left to expand. The shop was full years ago, I must have mentioned this by now.

           Everyone here is still waiting for the first big shipment from the Orient. There is not much else to do, and you know I hesitate to stick around for the less-challenging non-computer parts of the work. The staff certainly likes me, and I made brownie points drilling a couple of holes for power cords in the sewing room.
           I don’t usually take breaks but today I walked west on Kane [Concourse]. There was a coffee shop, I ordered one and got stung for $2.75. Ouch. This would be acceptable if the area was upscale and modern, but it does not even have the mediocrity of Las Olas [Boulevard, in Ft. Lauderdale]. A couple of banks, a few law offices and a few medical offices. No department stores, no entertainment, no fashions. It is unremarkable – and I will now ask for coffee prices before I make that error again.

           By late afternoon, I was tired and went to the library at Hollywood Circle. They have two main sections, Fiction and Non-fiction. The religious material is situated exactly between the two. I needed to relax so I read history books until dark.
           Then over to a service call. Gad, both computers were completely choked up with AOL. They were set to autorun AOL on startup, with all those “apps for retards”. Thus, I could not uninstall AOL, or kill the incessant pop-ups and behind the scenes activities. Even running the computers in safe mode didn’t work. I was there two hours and had to give up due to time. I am not a fan of using msconfig to uncheck the startup menus. One of the more annoying features is that “buddy list”. Like real buddies you grow tired of, once set up you cannot always make them go away.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++